Best replacement battery for MOBO.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by 1031982, May 31, 2008.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

if I'm not mistaken, those barrel-shaped CMOS batteries on older motherboards can recharge by itself when the PC is on. Dunno how much amps per hour these batteries can supply, but they are usually doing it more than just trickle!! :D

2. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Normaly when the computer is plugged on the universal plug the BIOS data is not supposed to be restored to default... the battery is only there for when the universal plug is putted off... So i don't understand why each time you put off your computer the bios data goes to default....

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If that happens, it means your CMOS battery is dead and you need to replace it.

4. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Ya i know but why the data goes to default? The mobo is still supplied by the PSU power

5. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, the CMOS data is maintained only by the battery, which is constantly being recharged by the main power. So, if it dies, the CMOS data will not be retained because the battery just doesn't have enough juice to retain the data.

6. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

I tryed today with 4 different mobos (Asus, Gigabyte,MSI,And IBM .. i did THE SAMES TESTS WITH EACH MOBOS....

I arrived to this conclusion

If the Battery is retired and there still power on the board(by the psu) the cmos data will be not erased

If the battery is retired and the mobo is not supplied of power... the cmos data will be erased(DUH)

If the battery is faulty and the board is suplied of power 2 on the 4 boards the cmos data was not erased...(Gigabyte and Asus one)

If the battery is faulty and the board is not supplied of power the cmos data is erased(DUH)

(I used the same faulty battery on all the boards)

1 person likes this.
  7. Adrian Wong

Wow.. Thanks for checking it out and getting a final word on this! +rep! :thumb:

PS. Can I use this information for an editorial? Will need information on what were the motherboards and PSU you used. Thanks!

8. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Ya will send you all the infos by mail ;)

9. Adrian Wong

Thanks!! :thumb: :thumb: