BIOS keeps resetting

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by yorker, Mar 22, 2010.

1. yorker

yorker Newbie

hi guys,

I've got a problem with my bios on my laptop.
    It keeps resetting .It doesnt store any info unless the power keeps powering it. Its a pain coz gotta keep loading to "default optimization(F9)" in the bios just to have the USB2.0 activated. If i dont F9 it, my USB is USB1.0

Things done:
    -changed battery
    -tried to reflash thru msi site but the flash utility by MSI wont flash because its updated.
    -checked at FTEC theres not bios update.

Specs:
    Ftec 8260 W2 series also known as MSI1012 or MSI S260
    Battery is dead so its unuse.
    Warranty over.

Picture attached.
    lemme know if need more info. much much appreciated :pray:

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sounds like the motherboard's CMOS battery is dead. You will need to get that replaced.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

He changed the battery already :D...seems like something else is wrong. wait, which battery is he referring to, Cmos battery or laptop battery :faint:

4. yorker

yorker Newbie

CMOS battery already replaced.....laptop battery still konged...

5. Adrian Wong

You may have replaced the CMOS battery but I don't think the replacement battery is working, or installed correctly, because the CMOS settings are not being stored.

To confirm, keep your laptop plugged into main power. Boot up and set up the BIOS. If you can restart the notebook without the CMOS error message, that means the CMOS battery isn't working right.

6. yorker

yorker Newbie

To confirm, keep your laptop plugged into main power. Boot up and set up the BIOS. If you can restart the notebook without the CMOS error message, that means the CMOS battery isn't working right.

hmm....i even held the battery in my hand while resetting and it didnt work..will try again..

7. yorker

yorker Newbie

i re-replaced the battery with a newer one, and as dumb as i might sound, it worked! thx anyway guys:D

8. Adrian Wong

Oh, your first replacement battery must have been a dud. That's great news! Glad it worked. :thumb:

9. yorker

yorker Newbie

yea,...dud... -.-""
    u never appreciate a usb 2 when u got usb 1 :p

10. Adrian Wong

USB 1? What happened?

11. yorker

yorker Newbie

coz my laptop if the bios resets, the date resets, hence the drivers in windows resets so it reverts to usb1. i find it weird too.
    theres no usb button in Bios...but i have to select Optimize values to get my usb 2.0 back..
    what u think is the reason?

12. Adrian Wong

Probably the default BIOS settings has the USB controller revert to the slower USB 1.1 mode (failsafe mode).

The BIOS setting is there. It's just hidden. That's the reason why you need to select Optimized Settings (or something like that) to enable USB 2.0.

13. yorker

yorker Newbie

ooo..understood.
    but seriously the bios sucks. coz not much to change including the usb.

14. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. It's not that it sucks. They limited the BIOS options to reduce RMAs due to improper BIOS settings.

15. yorker

yorker Newbie

well...hahaha too many itchy hands around:p

16. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. That's what they are worried about. :D

If you can't touch it, you can't mess it up... and they don't have to fix it. :haha: