bios tweaking - need extra cooling?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by calvinator, Dec 18, 2002.

1. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

hello...i just got my new system, and am very much a newbie when it comes to system/hardware tweaking. and the recommendation of your site couldnt have come at a better time (thanx skiitz!)

so pls pardon me if i ask stupid questions ok? :p

like the one in the subject of this post...lemme elaborate. well since bios optimization isnt exactly overclocking, i would presume that there'll be no need to add extra cooling. however, after all the tweakings in the bios, like setting the sdram latencies to 2-2-2-2 or enabling agp fast write, its been shown in my sandra and 3dmark benchmarks that there have been obvious performance gains (predictably, of cos). therefore, doesnt this mean that the sdram and the video card are working harder now...and hence producing more heat in the process? and along this line, doesnt that justify the need for more cooling?

ok thats it, at least for this thread. oh btw, thx adrian and chai, for responding so quickly to my registration woes...keep up the good work!

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Ah... extra cooling never hurts. :D It's always good to keep things cool (extend life of the equipments) even when not-overclocked.

Putting agressive timings do mean that they are working much faster, it pretty much depends if your device is by stock able to run that high or not.

Tweaking settings from BIOS do not require cooling... as it's still running not far away from stock settings.

It's only when u bump up the speed and maybe voltages that cooling becomes essential. But like I said, a little more cooling never hurts :D

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Tweaking BIOS doe not require additional cooling, unless you modify the processor clock speed settings and the voltage settings.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Almost Doe snot :D

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Damn! It was so close, wasn't it?? Hehe... Doe not... Just one letter. :lol:

6. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

ok thx for the input! but if anything happens i'll be sure to come look for u guys tee hee jk...

7. Adrian Wong

If anything happens, just go to your dealer and start shouting, "What kind of junk is this??? How come it cannot work?? I'll complain!!!"

Hehe... NEVER EVER mention that you have even thought of opening up your case. Turn on your BLUR look and pretend to be a complete IMBECILE. With luck and LOTS of shouting, they will simply replace your hardware or send it back for a replacement. ;)

PS. This message will self-destruct if you ever send this to your dealer!! :D

8. itld

itld Newbie

9. Adrian Wong

That's a really weird bunch of people...

I can see your point but I think you misunderstood me. I am totally for opening up PC cases. That's the only way you will know exactly what you purchased. Too many dealers ripping people off by using substandard or lower-spec parts but charging differently.

However, if anything goes wrong when you are tweaking, well, it would be best to say that you never ever opened the case, wouldn't it? :)

Again, it's a question of ethics. Check out our discussion on ethical RMAs - http://forums.rojakpot.com/viewtopic.php?t=153.

10. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    i was being sarcastic.

on the ethics question. i have taken hardware in and admitted to damaging it, and i still get replacement parts. just like it was disscused in the other thread the dealers simply pass it back to thier suppliers who eventually send it to the manufacture. not to mention the actual cost to produce most of the components is pretty low.
    cyberwolf and PC Pro love it when i show up to buy stuff beacause they know

• 1. i am pretty confident about what i want.
      2. i have enough experience to handle hardware without damaging it.
      3. when something i'm doing goes wrong it goes REAL WRONG so it's obvious.
      4. they know i'll be back to get more stuff.
      5. i buy top end hardware so they make more $$$.
    and i am usually pretty honest with them about what happened.

M.R.

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I saw your last post in that thread. You were expecting 17C drop. I think that's a little over ambitious. 10C drop from your Volcano 6Cu+ is still possible, but you have to understand that water cooler is not just about performance, it will be a lot quieter than your volcano setup. You will definitely enjoy the low noise level of the Swiftech setup.

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm... mighty nice of them! :)

Well, we have very understanding dealers here too. Unfortunately, there are some dealers here will NOT accept any hardware that was damaged by the user. With such dealers, any hint of even messing around with your hardware gets you in a lot of trouble with RMAs.

Still, if the damage is obvious... the dealer may not accept it. Most hardware are not covered for obvious damage like lightning strikes, user modification, etc.. Even AMD has recently tightened the rules on RMA of its processors.

13. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    first i must apologize for dragging this thread so far off topic :oops:

noise is the number one reason i started looking at water cooling.
    well kind of, when i took the side off of my case and set a desk fan up to blow into it is when i really noticed the noise problem, running with the side on the case causes all of the temps CPU0, CPU1, MB to go up at least 5c.
    M.R.