Blank Screen After Upgrading Graphics Card.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by erickj92, May 17, 2009.

1. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Recently I upgraded my systems graphics card from the 512 MB version of this "9400 GT 1024MB PCIe" to this new card here "9800 GT 512MB PCIe". Oddly now when I start it up I get a completely blank screen, and hear no POST beep. When I pull out the card, and use the onboard graphics my computer works fine. Also, the 9400 model worked just fine in my computer. Why would this new model not be working correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:

3 GB RAM
    2.8 GHz Dual Core CPU
    Biostar Mobo
    GeForce 9800 GT

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Some things to consider... :think:
    Is your power supply able to provide enough current?
    Is the card is seated properly?
    Try to boot with NO graphics card AND onboard turned OFF, do you get any beeps?
    Maybe try uninstalling the 9400 card before re-starting the machine with 9800.
    OR
    Does the card work in a different machine? If not, then I suspect the worst. :cry:

3. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Well I did consider the power supply to be an issue. It is only 250 watts, but it has powered the other GPU's just fine, which made me not think it was the psu. Is there a way to make for sure it is the psu?

On a side note: Is there a chance my mobo doesn't support the new GDDR3 the 9800 has, when the 9400 had DDR2?

Also, when I booted up the machine with NO PCI card, using the onbaord, I saw only the onboard GPU in Device Manager in Windows XP.

Thanks for your responce.

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

most likely PSU, did you connect the PCI-E power to the graphic card?

5. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

"did you connect the PCI-E power to the graphic card?"

I've seen that asked many times, but oddly I don't have a PCI-E power cable. I know the manual speaks of it, being a 6 or a 4 pin, but I don't have a slot for a cable on my video card. Am I overlooking a major detail?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it's a must to connect PCI Express power connector.

7. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

My video card has no spot for a power chord to connect to, though. The only thing my card has is a power chord going from the card to the cooling fan. There is one other connection, but it's only a 2-pin plug in, and by the looks of the manual that is for HD-Audio. Is there maybe something else that I need to hook up? If so, why did my old card work without this?

Edit: More specifically, this is my card: www3.pny.com/9800-GT-512MB-PCIe-P2814C402.aspx

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  8. Chai

That's because your previous card is a lower end card which isn't as power consuming.

The power connector is definitely there, all 9800 series cards do. It's usually located at the top right area of the card, when looking at the fan. It's a black connector with 6 pins connection.

9. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

10. zy

now thats the first 9800GT without a 6-pin power.
    did you try the card on someone else's computer?
    it could be that there isnt enough power to boot up the card.. hmm

11. Chai

Then the next most likely reason is PSU. 250W is way too little for most modern PC.

12. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Quote from PNY tech support: "Hello Erick, 250 watts is not nearly enough power for this video card, this card requires a minimum of 400 Watts with 26 Amps on the +12 Volt rail."

Is there a way to make for certain that it is the PSU before dropping 20 bucks on one?

Also, I was looking at this one here for a reasonable price: Newegg.com - Sunbeam PSU-BKS-480-US 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies
    But I am worried that it will not fit and dementions are not listed on the site. Are they all pretty standard?

13. Chai

Test the card on another machine is the only way.

What motherboard are you using? And what casing?

14. zy

+3.3@28A,+5V@34A,+12@18A,[email protected],[email protected],+5VSB @2A
    got that from newegg.com
    looks like you need something better, 12V rail rated at 18A.

15. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

16. Chai

This PSU is even worse. It's only rated at 12V @ 14A! For a 450W PSU is one of the crappiest PSU ratings I've even seen. Get a reputable brand and pay a bit more.

It is recommended that get a PSU with more than 26A on +12V.

PSU is pretty standard IF you are using ATX PSU. Since your motherboard is a mATX, I don't know if the PSU is smaller in size, since the original is only rated at 250W, there's a slight chance. Do you know what type of casing is the PSU using?

ATX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Refer to the link for the standard sizes. Most of the PSU out there are standard ATX form factor.

17. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

My case is an '04 eMachines case. The dementions match those of Blue Star 450W 20-pin ATX PSU w/SATA Blue Star BL-450

What would you recommend paying for a PSU? After dropping $120.00 on the GPU I don't have a ton extra for the store to raid my pockets on the PSU. :s

What does it mean when it has multiple +12 Volt rails? Like if there are 3 +12 volt rails at 20 Amps each?

One more thing, is it normal for the fan on the GPU to spin, even if there isn't enough power for the actual card?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  18. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The Sunbeam PSU dosen't meet the +12V , 26A requirement.
    Attached is a pic of the newegg listing... You will need to find a card that supports the requirements by using the "Specification" Tab and the +12V Amperage rating, both highlighted by the Green Arrows that I stuck in the pic. Once you find one that's OK go to the manufacturer's and check to see if the dimensions will work.

The new GPU's want LOTS of juice... :wicked:

HTH!

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Don't skimp on a PSU. Big mistake that a lot of people still make. Think of it this way, the cheap ones significantly under perform and chances are, if it goes out, it will take most of the stuff connected to it along with it. Buy a high quality one. I assure you that the PSU will outlive the GPU.

Also try to stick with a Single 12v rail. No real benefit in having multiple rails. Single large 12v rail is the best. Especially high powered graphics cards (and no, you can't add the rails up - doesn't work that way).

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Funny how they can do without the PCI Express power connector. The PCI-E slot can only provide about 75 W of power AFAIK. That isn't enough for the GeForce 9800 GT which needs about 125 W.

In any case, for the motherboard to provide so much power to the card, your PSU must have enough power on the +12V rails, and that means it must also have the extra ATX12V power cable, as well as the standard ATX power cable, attached to the motherboard.

From what I can see, your PSU is definitely not up to the task... PsY is right, go for high amps on a single 12V rail.