Bottleneck in Crysis?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by The_YongGrand, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey dudes,

Recently, Crysis started hitching like mad in Vista X86. I dunno why. The HDD is trashing like mad in intense battles. The thing is I put 'very high' details at 0X AA and 1280x1024 resolution. Maybe it's lacking of RAM or whatever.

Also, the framerates I'm getting is like 8 (minimum) to 30 (max) fps. Sounds a little bit too low, and I suspect it might be the processor since mine is an E2140. (and even pushed up to 2.00GHz).

So, if I purchase a cheap, 2nd hand E6600 could it boost framerates?

Btw, I already have a Radeon 4850. :D

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

RAM most likely and you might want to reduce the graphics detail a little bit.

E6600 will help a bit, but don't expect miracles.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, the E2140 is too slow to be paired with the Radeon HD 4850 for Crysis. An upgrade to the cheap E6600 would be a good idea, but like Max said, don't expect miracles. :)

Not sure how much RAM you have but it sounds like you do not have enough, if it's trashing like mad. You should add more RAM.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  4. The_YongGrand

I see. On HIGH details it is fine anyway, except for still some hitching.

But Vista's VERY HIGH's really irresistable! :D

5. The_YongGrand

Damn, you beat me to it! :D

Yeah, E6600 from the auction stores. I'll consider about this! :mrgreen:

I don't even want to try E7200 on that trophy P5NSLi I have. Some of them said it works... flawlessly, and some of them said that it wouldn't even start! :haha:

btw I have 4GB RAM, but only can be identified as 3GB because I'm still using X86. :D

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It wouldn't start probably due to old BIOS. Update your BIOS first, then only upgrade the CPU.

Yes, I think RAM is the problem.

7. The_YongGrand

Checked the CPU support for the P5NSLi - apparently a few days before the list claimed that 1502 and onwards, E7200 works on it. But yesterday, the list updated again, this time without the E7200. lol! :haha:

But I checked the Asus forums - one guy was running this one with *using* E7200 perfectly, but he got some minor tweaking in BIOS. Strange... :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

3-4GB should be good enough for Crysis. :think:

9. The_YongGrand

Yes and it's the HDD is still trashing. 3GB inside, and it still stutters. Annoying. But, the framerates are ok, but I love to have a boost out of it! :haha:

Also, check out the support forums - I'm still not sure whether is he really running that 45nm thing on the P5NSLi. E7200 support on P5NSLI :faint:

10. Chai

Hmm, is your motherboard revision 2.00G?

3G is enough if you are running XP.

11. The_YongGrand

Yes - it's the latest revision, 2.00G. 1502. It is because when I received the board, the first thing in my mind is to update its BIOS. :D

I don't know what's the requirements for the board to support 45nm though - either it's the modified VRM or the chipset or both. :haha:

12. Chai

I have a feeling that it will support 45nm CPU. But it won't recognise E7200 properly, so you have to configure the multiplier and voltage manually.

13. The_YongGrand

Well, me too. Strange as it seems, Asus' CPU support did mention E7200, E7300, E8x00 series (with downclocking) in their P5NSLI before that.

But only a few days ago they removed all these out. However, some of them could get E7200 working on that board. Even they could get Quad-cores working on it too. :D

I'll go and maybe purchase the E7200 and see if it fits inside. If not, I'll sell it again and get a cheap 2nd hand E6600. :D

14. Chai

Is E7200 better than E6600?

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It is faster than E6600 in most cases but the difference is barely noticeable and E7200 is a better overclocker.

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:roll:

Sigh,,, trin's e6600 is old already.:(

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nehalem (Core i7) is just around teh corner.... :mrgreen:

18. The_YongGrand

OK - an update.

Bad news first: Unfortunately, I couldn't get the P5NSLI to start with the E7200. Mikegas and I have the similar situation - nothing at startup, fan's spinning only. :shock:

Good news: Fortunately, I could get this work on my 945 chipset spare board lying. I used that one, and the P5NSLI now is converted to my very personal rig in my workstation. Hahahaha... and I'll see about SLI-ing 7300GTs when I have the time... (that's all I have man!) :twisted:

edit: And Crysis' framerates has a major jolt - at least now I'm seeing almost double of the framerates compared to my E2140. And best of all, I can nudge this E7200 to more than 266MHz FSB. Now I could run this at 2.66GHz. :D

19. Adrian Wong

Actually, I don't think it's possible. Even the ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium cannot support the 45nm CPUs.

20. The_YongGrand

Well, I have to swap the board - and surprisingly even the older 945 chipset could support 45nm. :D

But my P5NSLi is still trusty despite not into 45nms. That'll be my cheap experimental SLI machine in my 'lab'. :twisted: