Bringing Desktop Computer in International Flights

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by zy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you have any experience bring computer in international flight (check-in baggage). Would you recommend it??

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I did carry-on but dismantled it to components.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I didn't try, but during my recent flight, it is actually recommended to carry on to the flight, and they allow. Check with your airline.

4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I did check-in my 22" LCD display during my last trip, I still had the box. Got some 'fragile' stickers at the check-in, it did survive the trip.

CPU I suggest u strip the component, dump the casing.

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

If CPU, you can check in everything except for the drive. Hand carry the drive...

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my gf is thinking of bringing her computer back.

hp pavillion
    19" wide LCD

2.0ghz core 2 duo
    3gb ram
    2 hard disk
    nvidia 8500gt

worth bringing back ? :p

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Crap...how come I didn't read it's desktop. LMAO.

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Done it a couple of times dismantled, I think once in hand luggage and once in check-in. Probably best to hand carry the hard drive as mikegas said.

I wouldn't bother with the LCD though, personally.

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, that depends... If she has nothing else to carry back, sure... but if it's going to cost her money to fly it back, better not. :think:

If she's going to bring it back, I would recommend taking out the hard disk drives and carrying them in her hand luggage. Also, she should carry the LCD monitor as hand luggage as well. You can remove the base and you will have a pretty flat monitor that will fit a plastic bag or large haversack.