Building a New PC : Recommendations!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Maximus_Detritus, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Alright gentleman, the task before you is very simple.

You have been given a budget of RM5000 to build a new PC from scratch.

Components required would include : -

1. Processor
    2. Motherboard
    3. RAM
    4. Graphics Card
    6. Hard disk (s)
    6. Sound Card
    7. Monitor
    8. Keyboard/Mouse/Combo setups
    9. Speakers
    10. Optical Drives
    11. Power Supply

Some preference guidelines : Nvidia cards/boards, Intel processors, LCD monitors (widescreen)

Do list our your recommendations! Do add any extra components/recommendations as you see fit :D

(Translation : guys, I'm getting a new computer, need help ;) )

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you should tell us what you want based on your budget, then we will recommend what to get and what not.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Just a generic outline:

E6600
    P5B
    2GB RAM
    8800GTX video card
    320GB HDD
    19" LCD
    1 DVD-RW combo
    1 DVD player
    Acbel or Enermax or Coolermaster.

Hope it doesn't exceed RM5000. :mrgreen:

4. Maximus_Detritus

That's the thing. I've been out of the PC game for so long, I'm really clueless and out of date abotu everything.

I knwo for sure that I want an Intel C2D processor, but when it comes to the new mobos, I'm clueless. Graphics card? Most likely an Nvidia, probably an 8600GT or GTS. HDD, at least 400GB of storage. *racks brain* what else...

Oh, and a widescreen LCD suitable for gaming.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Skip Acbel. Skip the P5B (get a P35 based mobo) as it runs pretty warm and vdroops. 8800GTS is 'enough'. 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB with perpendicular recording (larger platters) aren't that expensive here and would be a viable option.

Don't get an LCD with too high of a native res (or suffer when Crysis comes out).

Please note that any DX10 games are VISTA ONLY. So grab a copy if you want to play those games.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

E6750 for best value for money.
    Gigabyte DS3R
    500GB WD5000AAKS

7. Maximus_Detritus

Any particular brands, guys? For RAM, Graphics card, LCD screen, etc?

I haven't been clued in to the relative merits of the various GC and RAM manufacturers, and I have noticed my old favourite DFI has disappeared from (i think) all of the price lists available from Low Yat.

What about the differences between the P35 and Nvidia's 680i chipset? I'm quite the active gamer, and will be needing the power to back it up. Also, having read alot of stuff about the problems Vista is having, I'm also wondering should I plump for Vista, or stick with the tried-and-tested XP Pro?

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Particular brands? No, not really. Unless you are looking for specific things like aftersales support, then you might want be careful with which brand you choose.

If you want SLI, then 680i, otherwise just stick to P35.

Do you intend to overclock this PC?

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Like I said. DX10 games are around the corner and they are Vista ONLY games.

*me uses Vista Ultimate* No probs whatsoever. There are minor issues but you have to sift thru fact and horseshit. :mrgreen:

Did DFI really have a good distributor in malaysia?