Buying new Rig, Budget RM4K+

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aKho, Jun 3, 2005.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

Hi, my 1st post. :wave:

I've got RM4K to spend on a new rig. I'm thinking to get :-

1. a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz / 1MB Cache / 800 FSB / HT @ rm1K+
    2. a compatible mobo (with built-in soundcard) preferably
    ABIT / ASUS / MSI brand @ rm300-500
    3. 1GB DDR SDRAM PC3200, CORSAIR or KINGSTON @ rm700-1K
    4. 80GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA HDD, SEAGATE / WESTERN DIGITAL
    / MAXTOR @ rm200-300
    5. a PCI-E 128MB GEFORCE 6600GT graphics card @ rm700-800
    6. a good casing with 450W power
    7. maybe a CPU cooler (if the one that comes with the Pentium
    is not good enough?)

I'm just a casual gamer wanting to try out DOOM3 and HL2. Also, I'm looking for a system that is stable as I'll be leaving it on 24/7 (That's why don't really want AMD, too hot?). Don't really need a monitor, soundcard or speakers as my current ones are still ok.

So, looking out for some advice and opinions. Kthxbye! :dance:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  2. Knight

Knight Newbie

not all AMDs are hot. Some Intels are even hotter then AMD. If you want an AMD go for a 90nm

3. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

why not AMD 64 ? :)

4. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

the idea of amd is hot i think from the thunderbird model i guess.. now even some of P4 are hotter than AMD.. that RM4K just for CPU rite, here is my suggestion:

AMD 64 3000+ and Abit AN8 RM1200
    512Mb Corsair VS CL2.5 x 2 RM400
    PCIe 6600GT RM780
    Antec truepower 480W RM350
    Antec Super Lanboy Aluminium Casing RM380
    200Gb Seagate Barracuda RM380
    CPU cooler Thermalright XP120 RM220
    Arctic Silver Thermal Compound RM25

total= RM3735
    you have RM265 balance more to enjoy yourself and i bet the price can be lower than my calculation.. :thumb:

5. aKho

Whoa, nice. I'll definitely think about that AMD spec.

However, the 512MB Corsair x 2 = RM800 i think, or is it possible to just run with one piece 1GB DDR SDRAM?

The 200GB Seagate HDD @ only RM380? Is it really that cheap now? Will definitely get that!! BTW, is it SATA?

I believe an AMD 64 3500+ is around RM1100. That's like half the price of the AMD 64 3000+. Is it worth to get that instead?

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz VS AMD 64 3000+? Both comparable speed? Or is the Pentium more equivalent to the AMD 64 3500+?

I don't know much about AMD mainboards. The Abit AN8 is roughly how much anyways?

LoL. I think i might just overshoot my RM4K budget. :dance:

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

you need 2 sticks or same RAM to run in Dual Channel Mode ...

so that your memory bandwidth wont be the bottleneck

even on the Pentium4 setup .. you need 2 sticks to run in Dual Channel Mode..

7. aKho

gotcha! 2 x 512 sticks. All right, thats around RM1K. Hrmm...3K more..what to do..what to do...

8. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

the hard disk is definitely SATA, and two stick of that CORSAIR VS are total RM400 not RM800.. one stick RM200 only.. that AMD 64 3000+ is RM600.. it is socket 939.. the abit AN8 is about RM580 and the chipset is Nforce 4 and have PCIe interface.. the AMD have an advantage over P4 in term of gaming and other few task due to their on die memory controller.. you still have that RM265 to belanja me wan.. as i said earlier it may be lower than my calculation.. :mrgreen:

9. Ject

Ject Newbie

AMDs are comparable to an Intel in speed. Even thought the Intel is rated 3.2ghz and a comparable AMD might be 2.0ghz the AMD is still the same speed.

The difference in architecture makes it much more difficult for AMD to hit 3ghz than Intel. AMD has a higher IPC(instructions per clock cycle) approx. 9 vs Intels 6. Thats why an AMD chip running at 2.0ghz is equal in performance to an Intel 3.2ghz. So for AMD to hit 3ghz would be like Intel hitting 4.5ghz Thats the dirty little secret that all us AMD fans have known forever

10. aKho

thx for all the insights! so i'm definitely goin AMD now. :lol:

AMD 64 3500+ RM1100
    Abit AN8 RM580
    512 MB Corsair VS CL2.5 x2 RM410
    PCIe 6600GT RM780
    Antec truepower 480W RM350
    Antec Super Lanboy Aluminium Casing RM380
    200Gb Seagate Barracuda RM380
    CPU cooler Thermalright XP120 RM220

OMG RM4200. Am I good to go?
    I might prolly throw away the 200GB HDD for an 80GB or 120GB. That should save me RM100.

Anything I should change? :lol:

11. aKho

Oh BTW, If I have some leftover change, I'll belanja y'all to roti canai at the nearest mamak stall! peace!

12. Ject

Ject Newbie

Looks good to me... I've never used Corsair or Abit mobo,, I would of sugessted an ASUS mobo and OCZ RAM but yeah your setup looks good.

Be best to get a 120gb hard drive unless you can't spare the $$ then get an 80gb. No need yet for a 200gb hard drive unless you got LOAD of music or some movies, or you have alot of games on your PC.

13. aKho

OCZ RAM? Never heard of it...I'm familiar with Kingston, Kingmax and Corsairs. I guess their more famous?

I've got an external 60GB notebook HDD that I plan on using as a backup drive. I don't think I'll ever need more than an 80GB HDD.

Ya, I agree with the Abit mobo. I'm more comfortable with Asus. I guess it's between the :-

ABIT AN8 NF4 ULTRA 1KHT PCI-E DDR1 SATAX4 RM580
    ASUS A8N-E NFORCE 4U S+L PCI-E S-939 RM565

So...

14. Ject

Ject Newbie

OCZ is pretty popular but I don't know how popular it is where you are. Its at reliable as corsair but as i said, i never used corsair.

In order of ram reliablity I'd rate it as
    1. OCZ
    2. Corsair
    3. Kingston

But give me a second to check out an Asus mobo

EDIT: Yeah If I had to pick from Abit and ASUS, I'd go ASUS the ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Item #: N82E16813131530
    Would be a good deal for RM474

15. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

im just suggesting the mobo.. if you can get asus board for the same price, go for it.. i think OCZ ram is hard to find here in Malaysia.. i think you should change the HD to 160Gb because it is more than enough.. i'm telling you because i'm using the 160Gb rite now.. beside i have two of them.. and i think you should go for the ASUS A8N-E NFORCE 4U S+L PCI-E S-939.. :thumb:

16. Ject

Ject Newbie

any kinda ASUS nForce4 Ultra 939 board would be good :)

17. aKho

Yup OCZ too difficult to get in Malaysia, guess its CORSAIR for me.

Again, I feel 80GB HDD is more than enough. LOL. What am I gonna do with 160GB? Is it really necessary? Anyways, I've got an extra 60GB external notebook HDD to play with atm. (My current system is only running a 20GB Maxtor HDD, 2 partitions!) :shock:

I am a little worried about the ASUS mobo. I checked the ASUS website (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm) and they only list like the A8N SLI mobo's now. Since I'll be getting the 6600 GT non-SLI version...it's not gonna support is it? Maybe the A8N-E is no longer in production?

Oh woe is me... :cry:

18. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

19. aKho

hmmm my bad. GT = SLI. LOL.

That card looks promising! Any reason why WINFAST and not maybe say... GIGABYTE / SPARKLE / ALBATRON brand?

They're all around the same price, RM780. Any difference between one and the other? They're all greek to me. :?

20. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Usually the differences are in the cooling, software bundle, and customer support. Sometimes the warranty and components used on the card (like the memory chips). I know that Leadtek (Winfast) 6600GT has a pretty good cooler; as for software bundle and support, I don't know. :p But there should be lots of reviews on the net if you want to search :)