can't find good help with DELL

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aKho, Oct 13, 2008.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

so i bought a 19" UltraSharp LCD from DELL online back in 2006 and a few days ago had a problem with the monitor's on/off power switch. Not functioning properly is how i would put it as i'm having a difficult time trying to turn it on/off whenever. Thus, i relented and made use of the main power switch instead.

anyway, as this hardware comes with a 3 year warranty (i got the 5 years advanced exchange warranty), i figured i'll check out if i can get help from DELL.

calling their 1800-88-1306 number, i was prompted to provide a service tag via key-in through the phone, which obviously is a big hassle (if you don't know where to find it). My hardware doesn't have this service tag and in it's place is a PPID number instead. Thus, the helpline doesn't "help".

so i went to DELL's online forum, signed up and posted my problem with required details as specified from their faq. Good so far, i figured i should get a reply on how to proceed soon. Then, something happened, within hours from checking back, i discovered that my post was removed entirely with not so much a message or follow-up from anyone.

surprise, surprise...i guess it's a common problem (after surfing through their forum on the same issue) and i'm stuck with this lame after sales service.

anyway, not about to just give up, i'm wondering if anyone know where and if there is any DELL centres in Kuching that i could go directly to resolve my problem.

perhaps an alternative solution? before i open up the thing and try and fix it myself...

:faint:

2. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

Not sure how Dell's service works, but their helpline should give you an option to speak to a live person.

1 person likes this.
  3. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

yeah ..normally can speak to a person, try again the toll-free. Usually DELL is quite responsive..

1 person likes this.
  4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about you, but Dell has one of the best support in Malaysia. All you need to do is provide the service tag.

1 person likes this.
  5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I just emailed one of them. They were very responsive, from my experience at least.

1 person likes this.
  6. sherwin

sherwin Newbie

Just called Dell a week ago to replace a faulty 1707FP.

Yeah the phone IVR requires you to enter a service tag or express code no matter what. The trick? Call the sales line, and request to be transferred to technical support directly.

Next day, they sent me a brand new 1708FP.

1 person likes this.
  7. aKho

yeah your right, i can't bypass the requirement to provide a service tag to be able to talk to a "real" person.

in the end i took your advice and called their sales line and ask them to direct me to a technician instead.

they took my problem down, gave me a reference code and hopefully get back to me soon. :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I had the same problem with the power button. In fact, replaced my 2007WFP monitor TWICE because of it.

You will need to read the serial number off the back of the monitor and get them the invoice number, but that's it. They will usually send a replacement by the next business day.

I can't say their quality is anything great but their service is really good. At least I do not have to send the monitor anywhere to have it repaired or replaced.

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yours should be 2007FP, right? :mrgreen:

I replaced mine 3-4 times :haha:
    1. One of my 2007FP suddenly went faulty, the top of the screen became yellowish.
    2. A replacement, but there's a dead pixel. Replaced again.
    3. A replacement, I can't remember what was the problem. Replaced again.
    4. Replaced my 2nd non-faulty 2007FP because the color doesn't match with the replacement monitor at all. (S-PVA and S-IPS)

This is how both of my S-PVA 2007FPs became S-IPS ones :lol:

They don't even sell 20" 4:3 LCDs anymore, I wonder what would happen if we were to replace our monitors now...

1 person likes this.
  10. Adrian Wong

Arghh.. I'm always mixing up the numbers. It's actually the 2407WFP. :wall: :wall:

Surprisingly, my 2007FPP is still running well. For some reason, the 24" model always has a problem with the power button. They have since replaced it with a 2408WFP.

1 person likes this.
  11. aKho

sounds good. expecting new replacement to arrive today at 5pm. was skeptical about DELL's response time but just about convinced via all the good feedback from you guys.

should have gotten a bigger screen if i knew their service is this good to guarantee me a working model for 5 years...

now i have like a 14", 17" and 19" lying around the house. :faint:

12. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Well, their build quality isn't really good. Look at my 2407WFP. It's an UltraSharp so it's supposed to be their best 24" monitor. Yet their power buttons keep crapping out on me. :wall:

And my Dell Inspiron's rarely-used battery died after less than a year. They are definitely not built to last. You will NEED the warranty. :haha: :haha:

13. aKho

yup, got a spanking new LCD, different model, same size, just a tad better i reckon. :whistle:

DELL BANZAI!

okay, i'm more or less convinced i should get a new notebook from DELL...in future.

14. Adrian Wong

Well, their build quality is quite suspect TBH. I just opened up a Dell notebook to clean the keyboard and some of the keys failed to work after that. I pinpointed the problem to the fragile keyboard connector. Replacing it would cost about RM 200++. Fortunately, I found a workaround... no thanks to Dell though. LOL!

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hmm... why not send back to Dell? :haha: Warranty voided?

16. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

how you fix it ?

17. Adrian Wong

No. Warranty ended 2-3 weeks earlier. :wall: :wall:

18. Adrian Wong

I discovered it was a "lack" of pressure on the connector. So, I just tacked on two pieces of thick double-sided tape and voila! the keyboard works fine now. :thumb: