Car DVR Dashcam

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Dashken, May 31, 2014.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Cheap and plentiful as in DIY? :think:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes... The good thing about this sort of cameras is they have plenty of parts. Battery, lens, casing, and even lens extension is available, for 808 key cam at least. I'm not sure about G1W, but I don't think it's that hard to replace.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ok... just placed an order for A118 + 32GB Transcend micro sd card at FoxOffer. Buy 1 first, if it's ok, get another one for my wife. :mrgreen:

5. Chai

LMAO, you should have bought a better one in the first place...

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

HAHAHA!

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

When does it arrive? Let me know how it goes. I will probably buy one too. Hahaha...

Psst! Do you get a discount if you buy more? :wicked:

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... again, if I'm as lich as you, I won't have to think long. I'd just grab any USD 500 ones. :roll:
    :rolleyes:
    Discount? :roll:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Sorry.:hug:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

And getting a better one would be just asking for trouble. Especially if I plan to leave it in the car. :p

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

12. Chai

I'm not asking you to buy the USD500 ones...

If you have certain requirements, then you should get one that fits your requirement, not the cheapest. Now you have already spent more than USD100.

But the new one looks much better. But power is still a problem for me... sigh...

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I would prefer capacitor one that can lasts minutes along with a battery that doesn't die for years under direct sun light, both in one package but none of them can do that unfortunately. That's why I decided on the A118 for:

- its small discrete size
    - clip-on so that if I were to reattach it, I don't have to adjust the camera angle again and again which I'd have to do with form factor like G1W, mobius, etc.
    - battery instead of a capacitor so that all settings are saved before and after

From the looks of it, only A118 makes sense to me. A118 is not the cheapest. At the moment, G1W seems to be the cheapest ok one. :mrgreen:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

15. Chai

Personally, I much prefer battery if the capacitor doesn't last very long.

Batteries are really cheap, and they are supposed to be easy to change. Unfortunately, I just checked that G1W doesn't have power plug for battery. Soldering is required... Oh well.

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, most of these cheap ones require soldering... mobius's battery has the plug thing, SJ4000 battery can be easily replaced too. Oh well... cheap ma, can't expect much. Me poor ppl... what to do. :boohoo: :beer:

17. Adrian Wong

Dash, why not buy a GoPro and bring it wherever you go?? Hahaha... :D

18. Chai

GoPro is too big, and there's no LCD, which is a big drawback. SJ4000 is a GoPro clone with good quality wide angle display, and it has LCD!

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

SJ4000 it is for you guys. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

20. Adrian Wong

It's only $92.99 what... or $99.98 with a car mount + charger... :D