Car trouble...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by aKho, Dec 18, 2009.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

aiyo, i wanna get a new car but duno which one lor, i think come down between toyota vios trd sportivo vs naza forte...

toyota vios trd sportivo
    pro - high resell value
    con - not very spacious lor

naza forte
    pro - spec overall better than vios and cheaper
    con - fuel consumption higher? true or not?

comment? advice? :whistle:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Forte has very good fuel consumption, and it's a bigger car with more engine choices (1.6 L or 2.0 L). But like all Korean cars, it will have very poor resale value. :(

The Toyota Vios is a smaller car, so well, it's good for parking in tight spots but if you want to stuff it full of people and stuff, it gets crowded real quick. Resale value will be high, of course, but so will be your capital expenditure.

I personally think Korean cars are underrated here in Malaysia. They offer much better features at a lower price than equivalent Japanese models. Unfortunately, their low resale value (due to local kiasu mentality) is a concern.

1 person likes this.
  3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Welcome back akho! :D

About the car choices, it depends on what you actually want to do with it.

Do you need the car for general work, or family use?

4. aKho

general usage...i would probably be using it to travel long-distance like kl-ipoh, kl-penang, kl-johor... :mrgreen:

but Boss is right, korean cars underrated...but will slowly change.

if forte fuel consumption is as good as vios..then i've made my decision :thumb:

the keyless thingy is very cool :whistle:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't bother with Sportivo. Just get the standard version.

1 person likes this.
  6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

TRD vios has +25hp :cool:

due to spoiler, sport seats, alloy wheels, TRD badge etc... engine is stock.

7. Chai

More like +25kg. :lol:

8. The_YongGrand

You might need a car that saves on fuel. Just curious - are you working in a sales division in a company? :mrgreen:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Man, trin missed those awesome rocking titty's...:drool:

1 person likes this.
  10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Reon!!!! :mrgreen:

Reon Kadena... :wicked: :drool: :angel:

1 person likes this.
  11. aKho

nope, i work with hospital systems (HIS), so travel a lot. :whistle:

forte fuel consumption is same with vios right... :think:

12. aKho

ai...off topic liaw. eh, anyway you guys in KL right. come lets meet up on a weekend for yam cha.. :wave:

13. The_YongGrand

Yeah me too! :haha:

Well, I guess it's in the sales line? Anyway, choose the car which you can save more on the fuel. :whistle:

14. zy

:whistle: It all depends on your driving habit :whistle:

Are you the aggressive type or no? :whistle:

15. Adrian Wong

If you travel a lot on the highway, a higher-capacity engine will probably be more "efficient".

I can hit fuel-consumption rates of 12-13 km/L with my 2.0L Hyundai Sonata on the highway, while my cousin's 1.5L Hyundai Accent would be lucky to do more than 11 km/L.

A larger, heavier car would also be more stable and have a more comfortable ride generally - a good thing if you are driving long hours on the highway.

Also, be sure to drive both cars at highway speeds to check them for noise, vibration and harshness of ride. I'm pretty sure the Kia/Naza Forte would have a much better NVH over the Vios.

There are also a bunch of other small features that may make or break the deal for you. For example :
    - special features like keyless entry or remote-controlled boot release or automatic shut-down of headlights whenever you turn off the engine?
    - gas lifts or cheap hinges for the boot? Gas lifts allow you to completely use the entire boot.
    - does boot size matters to you?

16. Chai

I don't think you can compare like that. My 1.6L can do 14km/L, but my father's 2.0L can only do 11-12 at best.

But for the same car with different engine capacity, usually the bigger engine capacity is slightly better as you are more likely to get better mileage because you are less likely to be heavy footed.

17. Adrian Wong

I'm not talking about a combined city-highway FC. I'm talking about pure highway FC. I don't know.. it just seems like that to me.

Yeah, I suppose you would be right - bigger engine for the same capacity would be more efficient in that sense.

18. zy

I can only do 30mpg (13km/L) on my 2.4 :( Gear ratio suck.
    & (18-22mpg) 7-9km/L in city because I'm heavy footed :p

Manufacturer stated 18mpg city, 25mpg highway.

Actually, it all depends on the driving style & car itself (engine, weight).

My sister rented a corolla 1.6. I was damn pissed , I was partially flooring that car because I'm too used to the 2.4L performance.
    I drove my friend's 3.0L accord, I was just lightly tapping the throttle.

Plus, do you carry alot of weight/passengers? If yes, a slightly bigger engine will probably save more gas.

I think you should test drive both cars :p

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  19. Chai

I'm talking about pure Highway. Like what zy said, a lot of factors, not just pure engine capacity. Weight, weight of your foot, gear ratios, gearbox type etc.

Some people underestimate the difference the weight of your foot can make. :lol:

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Sadly we're not. Trin is in Ohio and I'm in Washington (USA). :cry: