Casio Exilim EX-F1 - 60 fps in a point & shoot camera!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adrian Wong, May 25, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. This is really amazing. The Casio EX-F1 can shoot photos at the stupendous rate of 60 frames per second!!! :shock: :shock:

I have never had much of a regard for Casio digital cameras. So, this new Casio digicam is a real shocker for me.

[​IMG]
    Photo from KenRockwell.com​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

wow..it's like shooting a video:shock:

3. Adrian Wong

Yeah, faster than what most videos need actually! :thumb:

4. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

who needs such a high fps?:!:

5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it's a bit absurd. :D

But if you ever want to catch pictures of a speeding bullet... this is the camera! :D

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It only shoots a very short burst.

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, according to the official specs, it has a 60-shot buffer, giving it one second of recording at 60 fps.

60 fps is insanely fast, the 60 frames buffer is not too bad. If you set it to just 30 fps, you can already get 2 seconds worth of buffer. Either way, 1-2 seconds is more than enough to capture every fleeting moment of a really fast moving object - race car or speeding bullet! :D

What's amazing is that you can set it to start capturing shots the second you half-press. The buffer can store up to 60 frames worth of images before you actually press the shutter release button completely for the shot. In case you missed the shot you wanted, you can move backwards (before the time you actually fired the shot) and look for a more suitable shot.

8. Chai

Don't forget, shutter speed plays a very big role. You need to be in really bright condition to shoot at 60fps.

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's true... :think:

But I think any shutter speed above 1/120 or 1/180 should be enough, right?

Theoretically, 1/60 should be enough for 60 fps but have to account for shutter lag.

10. Chai

I don't think there will be shutter lag, it should be using electronic shutter. :D Shooting outdoor shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  11. Adrian Wong

Eh, check the specs. It has both an electronic shutter and a mechanical shutter.

12. Chai

It should be using electronic shutter at 60fps.