Cheap Wireless Routers with some extra goodies...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by The_YongGrand, Apr 16, 2006.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Okay, I'm very tired of ad-hoc my two comp with all the hassle of bridging the device and then the connection speed dropped and stuff like that. :wall:

I gonna get a wireless router. With extra 4 LAN ports (that's a common thing right?) and a tiny feature which keep track of how long one is connected to the net (like my Aztech DSL600EU)....

So I have a list, but these wireless routers will only cost BELOW RM200:

1.) Netgear MR814
    2.) Netgear WGR613V
    3.) DLink DI524
    4.) Prolink WGR1004
    5.) Aztech NA8300

WHich one do you recommend most? My external wireless adapters in my other computers are Prolink, and will they work with different router brands? Or must I buy Prolink? :D

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. Can't say I've heard of any of them, but you do NOT need to buy a Prolink router. Any wireless router will work with your Prolink wireless adaptors.

3. Adrian Wong

Sorry to hijack your thread.. Hehe.. I'm looking for a cheap wireless router myself. :mrgreen:

The Linksys WRT54G just can't cut it. :hand:

If anyone here can recommend a good wireless router that can handle P2P, do let me know. :mrgreen:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Cheap thing no good, good thing no cheap!

5. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Well, the "not so cheap" Linksys WRT54G is literally a POS.

6. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Can anyone recommend me a good wireless router?

One with a build in modem would be better. Also, is there a big difference between using one with a build in modem and one without?

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Why mine rox0r huh? It's not even a g, just b. :think: Connecting all 3 PCs and one laptop with filesharing whole day and also P2P. :faint: :thumb:

8. dassub

dassub Newbie

Any Linksys G router would probably be fine. To tell the truth, I'm using a very old B router and it still does the job awesomely.. just check the site to make sure they have updated firmwares for it, and you're good to go. I've gotten good download speeds and such, and never had a problem with it yet, and this is going on almost 4 years now. My girlfriend just got a G router by Linksys and it works awesome too. Highly recommended, no matter what the type is, seems to work out well with this brand.

9. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

Using the D-Link DI-604 here, works well straight out the box and very simple for even the newest PC user...

10. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

My DI624+ crashes so often that I finally bought Linksys RV042 to replace my router, I still use DI624+ for the wireless and it still crashes some times :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

11. Adrian Wong

No idea. My old 3Com worked great too, even at only WiFi-B and without a firewall! :doh:

I wonder if I should try the latest Linksys WRT54G... :think: