Configurating D-Link DSL 520T with Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by jasperchc, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

I need help with configurating the d-link DSL 520T modem to work with the netgear MR814v2 wireless router. I can connect just fine now but i cant access the netgear wireless router setting, was told i need to set the D-link modem to bridge mode, but what else do i need to do to make the setting work? cause i need to set the wifi setting in the netgear router to enable my laptop to connect to the internet.

And I killed my aztech 305E modem trying to make the 2 work in this afternoon, the aztech modem cannot connect to the internet anymore and i cant access its configuration page and the reset button on the back doesnt work as its not resetting the modem.

So please help me before i kill my new modem again :pray:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I'm no network expert but...

1. Connect directly to the modem and set it to Bridge mode.

2. Connect to the router and configure.

3. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

i can set the modem to bridge mode by connecting directly, but after that what do i do? i can only access the netgear wireless router configuration page (192.168.0.1) when its not connected to the modem, when its connected to the modem, it will not work.

4. Adrian Wong

You need to set the modem to bridge mode. Disable the built-in DHCP server.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It looks like both devices are fighting for the 192.168.0.1 IP.

6. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

Adrain, I set the modem to bridge mode, disable dhcp. The result is cant access the router configuration page (192.168.0.1).

Chai, no they are not fighting over the default Ip, modem use 192.168.1.1, router use 192.168.0.1

Also, when i connect to the net, my ip is 192.168.1.2 with the default gateway as 192.168.1.1, these are based on the modem. When i set it to bridge mode, i used the same ip and it doesnt work, changed it to 192.168.0.2 with default gateway 192.168.0.1 which is based on the router. With this setting, i can access the netgear router configuration page but when the router wizards try to detect the internet which it fails and when it does, there is only 2 options, cancel and retry. There are no other option avaiable to choose.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
  7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Two DHCP servers on a network just fubars everything if I remembered correct. Thats why you disable one (so the second router effectively operates like a switch. As to how to access it is beyond me. :p But I do know for a fact two DHCP servers on a single network is a no no.

8. Adrian Wong

Are you sure that when you directly access the router, the IP is 192.168.0.1 and not 192.168.1.1? Try connecting directly to the router and typing ipconfig in the command prompt. See what it says.

When you set the modem to bridge mode and disable DHCP, you don't need to set an IP for it. The router's DHCP server will automatically give it an IP.

Just set your gateway to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Then use your router's "dialer" to connect to the Internet.

9. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

When connect directly to the router and set the network connection to get ip automatically, the ip = 192.168.0.2 and gateway = 192.168.0.1

When set the modem to bridge mode and disable its DHCP, the default ip i get is 192.168.0.2 with its gateway 192.168.0.1 (which are from the router)

"Then use your router's "dialer" to connect to the Internet." i am not quite sure what you mean by using the router's dialer to connect.

10. Adrian Wong

When you set the modem to bridge mode, it functions like a modem, not a router. You have to use the router's built-in DSL dialer to connect using the modem.

You cannot use Windows XP's dialer because you are not connecting to the modem directly. You cannot "see" the modem. Instead, the router will have to do the connection for you.

Login to the router at 192.168.0.1 and set up your DSL account there. It should automatically log into the network.

11. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

its the same problem, when set to bridge mode, when i tried to access the router by typing 192.168.0.1, i end up at the same page as my post number #6, directed to that screen, tried and failed to connect to the internet.

12. Adrian Wong

Umm.. Just wondering, did you connect the modem to the router properly. There is a modem-specific port on the router.

13. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

oh my..., adrian you are a genius! it's working now :hug: :hug: :hug:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hehehe... :mrgreen: Took me quite a while to figure out mine with the new modem. Had to look up how to enable bridge mode. It's a :wall: thing that nowadays most modem comes with built-in router, unlike the early days. :D

15. Adrian Wong

Oh, so that was it? Great!! :mrgreen: