Connection limit in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, May 6, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I wonder... is there some kind of connection limit in Windows 7?

I've checked and there doesn't seem to be one. However, I have trouble opening up multiple IE windows in Windows 7.

In Windows Vista, I had no problem opening up 20-30 forum threads simultaneously using Maxthon (which uses IE). But now, I can only load 2-3 forum threads.

If I launch more than that, Maxthon will not load any of the pages and they will just stall. I have to close them all and reload just 2-3 threads.

It's not a Tech ARP forums problem either, because I have the same problem loading multiple pages in Time.com or other forums.

Anyone here facing the same problem? :think:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't have any problems at all. Just opened around 20 tabs from multiple pages.

3. Adrian Wong

I usually open 30-40 tabs.

I wonder if it's a resource leak. It usually starts out fine but after several days of use, it gets really bad.

Like now, I can only open one tab displaying a forum thread. :wall: :wall:

4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I dunno but I find IE really lags, some pages while loading the whole IE just stuck there, happens to both my XP and Win7 machine. Maybe is IE8? Another I can think of culprit is Flash.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

IE is generally very slow when you start opening a lot of tabs.

6. Adrian Wong

Slow is one thing, but a number of my pages are getting "stuck" like Falcone.

I just rebooted Windows 7 and it appears to have cleared up the problem. I can now load sites that earlier appeared inaccessible, but in Tech ARP forums, I can only open 2-3 threads simultaneously. The other threads will only open if I stop loading the other threads. :nuts:

7. Chai

You should try to use another browser to see whether this is browser related or OS.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, probably should start using Firefox or Chrome as the main browser. Just so used to Maxthon. LOL!

9. Adrian Wong

Darn... I just tried Firefox to load a page on the Kingston website and it "stalled". I had to refresh it a few times.

Either my Internet connection is VERY bad, or there's a serious problem somewhere.... :think:

10. Adrian Wong

This is really weird. After updating Windows 7 and rebooting, it's back to normal now.

I can now load multiple threads in this forum, and other sites without a problem.

I have no idea what happened earlier... :wall: :wall:

11. Adrian Wong

I think IE8 or Maxthon is partially to blame for my problem. Looks like the router and the Internet connection itself is to blame for most of it.

I just successfully cleared the problem by rebooting the router. It was not the modem because restarting the modem didn't help. But rebooting the router worked instantaneously.... most of the time.

There were a number of times when rebooting the router didn't work. Then I discovered that after rebooting the router several times (which naturally established a new ADSL connection each time), the connection was to blame too!

I had to reconnect several times to find a proper connection - then I have no problem loading any number of windows. It looks like a DNS problem on the ISP side, than on my end.

12. Chai

What router are you using? I think I saw the 3com. It's crap to be honest.

13. Adrian Wong

Yes, it's 3Com. :D

Well, any suggestion for a replacement router? I have an old WRT54G. Maybe I will try that... :think:

I originally "upgraded" from the WRT54G to this 3Com router because the WRT54G had the connection limit issue. This 3Com router has the same problem but can support more connections than the WRT54G before it goes nuts.

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

you can try using chrome and see, It's really fast and it now supports extensions so you should be able to get any features you need.

Anything with Flash would be a resource hog, even if just one of the tabs has it.

15. Adrian Wong

Yes, I've had Flash hang Maxthon for several minutes very often. Why can't they make it run better???? :wall: :wall:

16. Chai

Seems like it's affecting all browsers, especially on slower machines. But I never had such problems on my machine. Nothing beats a good old desktop machine. :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

I don't know what they have been doing all these years, but if Flash can hang my browser even with such a fast processor and 4 GB of RAM to play with, they have a serious problem and they need to fix it fast!