Console gaming?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 30, 2011.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Okay, I feel that this one doesn't belong to the regular areas, so I post this here instead.

My brother wants to play a console system. Well, funds are limited, so it's only PS3 or Xbox360.

It is not a replacement for PC games as my brother wants to play specific games only released for the console. For him, he only played PC games and only console experience is 8-bit. (And me too)

And, I purchase games regularly in Steam if they have 75% discounts, not sure whether they have it in other digital content delivery for the consoles.

I just tried a PS3 just now in a shop - I could play the Earthworm Jim (HD) comfortably (I played it on PC back in '98 so I know what I was doing), but on MW3, I felt like a goldfish out of the bowl. Playing FPS without a mouse can be a tough and challenging thing.

Please note that I do not intend to cause any "console wars". Both of the Xbox360 and PS3 are good, but I can't buy all of them. :)

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Having all of the 3 major home consoles, I prefer the PS3. :mrgreen:

It's always PC>PS3>X360 and my Wii never for me. :p

You don't have to "pay" to play games online. I much prefer the PS3's interface and the Playstation store (vs the xbox marketplace).

Matchmaking is better on Xbox Live but it better damn well be since it's paid subscription.

The PS3 tends to add some useful features with software updates. Plus you also get one of the best bluray players on the market. :)

And if anyone's going to say I'm anti-xbox, me owning two X360 systems (first one was a complete POS that was junk the moment it came out of the box, and the second "slim" one is just alright) and my 13k+ XBL gamerscore begs to differ... :p

PsYkHoTiK's Profile - Xbox.com
    Public Trophies - PlayStation.com

3. The_YongGrand

Thanks for the insights. I saw the PS3 because of the price below RM1000 in a store and thought of getting one.

The thing is, my TV isn't all in good condition. It's still a 40kg CRT. I may need to change the TV because it doesn't have an HDMI port.

Would this PS3 connect to my Steam account? Are these games on PC can be played on uh... PS3? Example, if I have L.A.Noire on the Steam, I can play that on the PS3 as well if the accounts are linked?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nope.

PC games are PC games. Console games are console games. With few exceptions.

I bought Portal 2 on PS3 because it came with a coupon code for the steam version as well (and you can play between the two platforms). This happens VERY rarely.

Though why would you want your PC games on a console? PC games are PC games. Console games are console games. :) The only time I've ever rebought a game, it was because I loved it. I have Just Cause 2 on both PS3 and PC. I have GTA IV and the two expansion sets on X360, PS3, and PC...

As for TV, it would be recommended that you upgrade to a nice HD LCD tv. Though at the same time the PS3 can output to 480p I think (though that would be a shame - it's like wearing blurry eye glasses inside the playboy mansion LMAO).

5. The_YongGrand

Thanks for the quick reply. :D

My bro is eyeing on the Bayonetta and Skyrim. I should tell him about the "Playboy Mansion" too. That'll keep 'im occupied too for Christmas. :haha:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Buy it if it has the games you want to play, not because which is better. I have never felt the need to buy X360 because it really doesn't have any games that I really crave for, maybe Forza 4 only. :lol:

HDTV is definitely a 'must'. Without it, it is like playing on previous gen consoles. If the game is already available on PC, I would still get the PC version. It is usually better in terms of graphics and price. I bought Batman Arkham City for PC for these reasons.

I bought PS3 few years back because of a number of exclusives, like MGS4, GT5, Uncharted series. Then games like Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain too. I have some other games that are available on both PS3 and X360, but the most important factor is the exclusive games.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

^^ This. Only reason why I have a Xbox 360 and a Wii (well it gathers dust until the next Mario game LOL).

8. The_YongGrand

I'll only get the exclusive games if I want to play then on a PS3.

Also, PSN offers digital downloads and discounts like Steam?:haha:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yup! The PSN store has deals/demos/and digital games. I have quite a collection... :p Tons of PS One games too (that you can play on your PSP if you have one as well). :)

10. Chai

But I don't like PSN because different country has different store at different price. And the items available are different too. I have have 2 accounts, US and SG.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah I think US is usually the last to get PS One games... :boohoo:

12. The_YongGrand

You think they will stock up Postal III here in this country? That's the only few other games I'm pretty interested. Or they are region-locked? :thumb:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

If I recall, PS3 games are region free (and malaysia has the same blu-ray region as the US).

14. Chai

I have R1, R2, R3 games. No issue with that.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The only stipulation is for DLC/add-ons. If you get a US game, only the US Playstation store's content for that game will work. You can't get content from the SG store or EU store to work on a US game.