Consumers Cold To Blu-Ray Players

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, May 16, 2008.

1. miahman

miahman Newbie

interesting but even so, a standalone played which is almost the same price as machine which plays games and plays movies....

i'd still stick to the PS3 lol

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

One thing a LOT of people do not see is that the PS3 is a very advanced Blu-ray player. Just look at its specs. HDMI 1.3a, a firmware that can add a new feature (such as BD 2.0 recently) in a simple software upgrade.

PS3 really is the way even if you don't game. :thumb:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

is dts-hd supported yet?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

with the last firmware yes.

Wont have to worry about this player getting outdated. :p

5. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Reasons for not getting a PS3.

1.)Doesn't work with universal remotes.

2.)it's louder than a standalone.

All that advanced hardware runs much hotter compared to a standalone causing the fan to kick on, that could interrupt quieter movies.

3.)You have an older AV receiver and need multichannel analog outputs.

Can't be done, you still can get standard DVD-style surround sound, through the optical SPDIF output, but that defeats the whole point to upgrading to blu-ray.

4.)You want to be green.

Again all that advanced hardware supposedly draws a lot of power. Some of the measurements I've seen is up to 170 Watts compared to 25 Watts for a standalone player.

6. Chai

That is true. But the newer 65nm chip should be cooler. Then again, nothing come close to the price of PS3, and the features.

7. miahman

miahman Newbie

lol i dont think we can be green by using high end PCs for the fum of it lol. (isn't a ps3 more energy efficient than a pc??? @_@)

and yeah the ps3 is just the heck of a ps3 man its features are really good. u can do online talk, free online play, watch movies

also on ps2 people created ways to play downloaded games and videos direct from pc or external harddrive, has anyone done the same for ps3 yet?

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

1) The BD remote is way better then any universal remote. You don't even have to point it.

2) It is not loud at all. And with the points you bring up in 3, invalidates noise (umm yeah hear it over surround a home theater setup?). You can't hear it over TV speakers let alone a home theater speakers. Heck you can't hear it at all (believe me, we have 2 in the house - 3 next week when MGS4 comes out). Even if you were watching a silent movie you would have to try really really hard. My dad doesn't complain at all and he is one of the most discerning people I know.

3) Nothing wrong with using the Toslink for surround. HDMI simplifies it by using a single cable. But you'll need all higher end stuff for that (TV and A/V Receiver anyways) regardless. You don't shell out a premium for higher end player (and a BD player at that) and try and use it on older stuff (SDTV and A/V receiver from the 90s).

4) You have got to be joking... :haha: I am not green nor do I want to be associated with green. While I do not believe in wasting (leaving everything on and revving at stop lights and flooring it when it turns green), I will not go out of my way to save a 'little bit' by sacrificing loads. It's consuming power? Turn it off when not in use. My beast PC is on 24/7 but my other toys are off unless I need them. :mrgreen:

Plus cow farts are more damaging to the earth. So I eat more beef and enjoy my toys. Now that is my philosophy. Go green, eat beef. And enjoy your toys. :thumb:

And if you really want to save people. Fold using your PS3. :p

Do you have a PS3? Have you tried it out? :think: If not, you really should stop reading and start checking it out in person (not a lot of people online are very objective about things - I for one love it, and even in my article, I never brought noise up as an issue). Most of the displays are mock ups though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

YouTube - Playstation 3 startup into Resistance

How noisy is it? I can't hear anything. :o

All there is is the ambient sound (from my computer behind the wall I believe). :p

Note the beep of it starting up. No change in room noise. ;)

Like I said, go out and try it out for yourself.

10. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

I completely agree. But, to the majority of the mainstream populace, the PS3 will be forever known as a gaming machine. In fact, I forget where I read about it, but there were many, many PS3 owners who did not realize that the PS3 even had a Blu-Ray drive! :shock:

11. Chai

The fan will spin up when it gets hot.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's still not very noisy. My dad goes on long movie marathons and I go on gaming marathons.

13. miahman

miahman Newbie

'gaming marathons'

put it there :high five:

(couldn't be assed to quote it all)

14. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

1.)If you use activity-based macros such as "Watch TV" and "Watch Blu-ray" to control your home theater then the BD remote is not so great.

2.)Well to be honest if it was just me watching the movies then all I'd see is action movies and the volume never drops below 100 decibels unless a window blows out, however the lady of the house does like to see some of those "romance" movies. It never fails just when the movie reaches that important part in the story line the fan kicks in full speed and it sounds a bit like a hairdryer... or perhaps that's my snoring? :mrgreen:

3.)Optical SPDIF thanks, but no thanks it is not worth the hassle for little or no gain.

4.)To each his own, but for me being human also means striving to improve the human race as a whole, every way I can.

5.)Cow farts the problem solved!

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL probably your snoring (I hear you on the snoring part LOL). :p

But yeah I was kidding on the #4. I am surrounded by environmentalists who nitpick what I do (I live in a pretty liberal part of the US). It's not like I waste or overly consume on anything. :o So I have learned to poke back humorously.

As for surround? What other connector would you like? Full RCAs? It doesn't have digital coax... :think:

On a side note, I still prefer my intake of red meat as my little bit (plus a buck a day is pretty expensive for a cow). :p

And touche btw... :beer:

16. miahman

miahman Newbie

touche

red meat rules (after cod, sardine and tuna lol)

i can say one thing for sure, the PS3 can never be louder than my PC, if i can watch all types of movies onmy pc then i can too on PS3. (very simple logic XD)

1 person likes this.