Core i7

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Trinity, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

My e6600 is getting aged and almost everyone I know has a better system then mine.:cry: :lol:

So trin asks, Who here is first in line for Core i7 and X48?

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Correction: It's X58 :mrgreen:

Most likely PsYkHoLICH, I think. :mrgreen:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What's the deal about i7? lol

4. Trinity

Poop.. X58:doh: :lol:

5. Trinity

Newer, faster etc...:lol:

(bragging rights):p

6. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Bragging rights is overrated. Even when you aquire them it's usually others doing the bragging for you and not yourself.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That would be correct hopefully... :haha:

I dun care about bragging rights, I just want the hardware... :haha:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nuff said! :thumb:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Didn't you guys hear?? PsY is already planning for the upgrade!!!!! :twisted:

10. Trinity

Well I just put $342 in an envelope to start saving for 'little kiki'.:) Dun know for sure if I will be poisoned or not, But better to start saving... Just in case.:lol:

11. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Ah did you just say case? Time for a lian li armorsuit. :D

12. Trinity

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hm... let's just say that... you WANT to be poisoned :haha:

1 person likes this.
  14. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

Somehow I fear i7 will be overpriced to begin with, me thinks intel is targeting the enthusiast with deep pockets first.....I guess have to wait and see..

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Wikipedia has some quotes on prices of Core i7 processors. Not sure if those are the official MSRP, but the prices don't look like they're aimed for most users

Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Intel will be releasing the high end i7 first, budget ones will come later.

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, all Core i7 processors will be marketed as top-of-the-line processors until the Core 2 processors are phased out.

18. trueg50

trueg50 Newbie

All indications show that it will be priced at around current mid range CPU's.

If your not doing massive renderings, heavy folding, or server work, then I would recommend a nice X38 (Asus Maximous formula, or other model) and a Q9550, Q6700 etc.. that fits into your budget. Then when everything really moves to DDR3, and more multi-threaded go for I7 around there.

19. SkyLegendz

SkyLegendz Newbie

Newbie to the forums and my plans

Heya, I'm pretty new here so, "Time to make fun of the newbie time." I stumbled on this site during my 2-weeks of researching on the Core i7 and the x58s.

In anycase, I was planning to get a new system on the 12th of December and it was going to be with the 920 and a MSI Eclipse. I'm afraid I don't have the kind of budget to get the 940 though but I'm waiting for benchmarks (and hopefully price drops :rolleyes:) before making purchasing decisions. :D

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i7 is a server chip. Don't expect significant jump in desktop workload. you can run 3 channel mem interface, be it high speed or low speed, don't expect any gain from the memory. best is wait for the dual channel stuff. cheaper, but the issue is socket incompatibility.

i7 launch is kind of like the hammer launch 5 years ago. server chip cascaded down to desktop, with proper desktop lineup coming up later on. Well, no surprise, after all, nehalem is a server uarchitecture. they want the multi socket pie.

Also, not to mention the VDIMM limitation. i know a few killed it due to overvoltag-ing. Right now, only Qimonda is smiling because their aeneon kit, well known for 1.5v operation, will sell very well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008