Couple questions about Win7 UI...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Motoman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I just installed Win7...upgraded just fine from Vista as far as I can tell at the moment.

Couple things bugging me though...1 is that I can't seem for find a way to make the Start menu work in the traditional manner...Vista had the option. The old style that looks and works the way it did in Win2K, and was an option in XP and Vista - without the extra bit on the left and your "favorites" popping up and all that. I want the traditional Start menu back!

Also, there's not a Quick Launch toolbar as far as I can tell, but you can "pin" things to the taskbar for the same effect (although it takes up more space, which is really annoying)...but there's no "show desktop" or "Aero" buttons there, and I don't see an obvious way to add them...?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

1. Classic Start Menu, I don't think there is the classic start menu in windows 7 anymore. You can hide the links on the right side "documents, pictures, music, game computer, etc.." but you can not hide the extra space.

2. Quick Launch, is disabled/hidden by default. Read here to enable it Quick Launch - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

3. Show Desktop, It is the right most button, to the right of the clock.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I prefer to use smaller icons and pin the programs that you want in quick launch.

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... small icons and drag the taskbar to 2 rows... :D

5. zy

+1 to small icons. But I did not use pins or 2 rows :p

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

But the small icons really too small. Microsoft failed on this one... sigh...

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Why not just embrace the Win 7 way for pinning them to your taskbar?

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think I'm probably the only one who doesn't like 7. Vista feels the same to me, and in fact, I still prefer the old style task bar.

I agree with Dashken, the icon are too big or too small.

9. zy

:haha:

I hate Windows 7 because it can't hide my windows messenger tab to taskbar. :wall: But i like the fact you can rearrange you tabs.

10. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Thanks guys...got the taskbar pretty much how I want it, but the Start menu is really annoying. I turned off the recent programs, but then you still get that pane on the left that's now just blank - you have to hover over All Programs before it populates up.

What a fantastic GUI fail. I can't see how anyone thinks this is an improvement over the classic version. It's just a POS.

On the plus side, I honestly think WoW runs smoother on this machine now. Seriously.