CPU and Graphics Card recommendations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gasjatt, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I'm getting a new system for gaming and I need recommendations on which cpu and graphics card to get. I know that too good a cpu can be limited by a low-end graphics card, and a good graphics card will face bottle-neck problems with a slow cpu.
    The maximum combined price I can afford is RM1400 and I've come up with the below combination,

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    Radeon x1950 pro

I'd like to know if two items above match each others performance? Any other models you people have in mind? Pls help me out, thanks.

P.S. - I'm playing games like FEAR, NFS:Carbon, CallOfDuty...(mostly FPS).

2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I guess a G80 or R600 is out of the question huh? :lol:

Instead of an X2 why not get a Core2Duo E6300 since it is priced about the same as an A64 X2 3800+?

Other than that the video card is a good choice.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Are you forgetting about the mobo?

4. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I've checked. E6300 costs a few hundred ringgit more than X2 3800+. Where did you get the price from?

What about the mobo?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. Chai

Unless if you have an existing S939 or AM2 motherboard, how are you going to use the X2 3800+?

6. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I said in post #1 that I'm getting a new system. What I meant was getting everything new. I just have to get a new mobo that match my cpu...

7. Chai

Yup I know that, which is why I mentioned you forgot about the mobo in that RM1400, I doubt it's enough to have 3 of them for just RM1400. That's what I meant.

8. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Nope, my RM1400 budjet is for cpu and graphics card only, mobo not included...

9. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

If you're going to buy everything new, then your budget should include everything, shouldn't it?

/Olle

10. Chai

If I were you, I will try to squeeze in Core 2 Duo, it's just more value for money, for the performance.

11. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Too bad as it would be better to get a Core2Duo than anything from AMD.
    Sorry, I didn't notice you don't live in North America; my bad.

12. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Does the x1950pro fully supports DirectX10?

13. Chai

Nope it does not.

14. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

If u can wait, wait for the DX10.Currently the only cards that support DirectX 10 r the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX & GTS.ATI is yet to launch the DX10 cards.But u'll have to wait coz u'll have to pair these GPUs with Nvidia Nforce 680i(Intel) & Nforce 680a(AMD).

If u wanna buy a DX10 setup now,u'll have to rob a bank for sure.Just wait & let prices to come down.Go for the Athlon X2 4600+ or the 5000+ if ur budget permits it.

Oh,1 thing,Nvidia has a much broader Game compatibility than ATI.ATI is currently under AMD.Go to ATI.com & u'll find that.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ummm. How would ATI being owned by AMD (old news) have any relevance? I would refrain from getting any X2s and just spring for a C2D.

16. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Buying or upgrading to an AMD rig at this point is well,... pointless since the Core2Duo is faster and isn't expensive,... in north america anyhow.

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Yeah, a C2D E6300 is nowadays the most bang for the buck - and pair it up with an Asus P5B. But not really sure if these combination will exceed RM1400 - if you don't include the video card as well. :D