CPU questions

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by belikethat, Oct 4, 2009.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

the older the CPU is, the more heat it generate?
    and also require more power consumption?

for example. a p2.8gh will require less power and generate less heat compare to a p1.8gh?

from
    Tech ARP - Desktop CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 7.6

can i assume that the higher the voltage, the more power it needs and the higher the voltage the more heat it will generate ? :dance:

but wait a minute.. the newer the cpu is the more transistor, thus the more heat generated ? :wall:
    i

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Power usage is not as simple as that.

Voltage is not everything. Don't forget, P=VI. If amperage is high, the actual output can still be very high.

Almost all the power usage is generated into heat.

You would expect a quad core CPU to generate a lot of heat. Yes, in theory, that's true. But then, CPU manufacturer is getting smarter and smarter. They are employing all kinds of methods to reduce power usage, especially during idle.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hmm what i actualy want to know is the heat generated. well not specifically like 54.3 celcius. i just want to know which CPU generate more heat

is there a reference graph to show it's idle temp ? or can i base on something to refer on

4. Chai

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

thanks. but what does TDP stands for :p

6. Chai

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There are no exact measurements, but the best way to determine which CPUs "probably" produce more heat than others is to check their TDP.

TDP is not a measurement of the actual power output but merely the maximum amount of power the CPU is expected to produce in the form of heat. Still, that gives us some rough estimate of the CPU's thermal output.

For example, if you check our Desktop CPU Comparison Guide charts, a CPU with a higher TDP will likely produce more heat than one with a lower TDP.

However, this doesn't account for the CPU's energy saving features. Older CPUs have not even reduce power when idle while new CPUs actually reduce clock speeds to very low levels when idling or on low loads.