CPU Usage rises to 100%

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by fuzzy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Guys, for some reason my PC's CPU usage keeps rising and stucked at 100% after long usage.

Even if I closed down ever program until the bare necessities, it still remains the same. But if I restarted with the same programs started, it goes back to a normal 10-20%.

Why is this happening and is there anything I can do to reverse this?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

First open Task Manager and find out which process is using so much CPU time.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. check for the program that uses that much cpu usage .. could be a spyware/virus/adware :p

4. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Everything.

I'm not a newbie in this so it really has got me stumped. For example if I have:-

Firefox 80%
    Winamp 10%
    BitComet 10%

So I proceed to shutdown Firefox. Now it'll become this:-

Winamp 90%
    BitComet 10%

So I close Winamp.

BitComet 100%

I think you get my point here....Even if I close all external programs, things like Task.exe, Isass.exe, etc etc.... takes over and keeps the usage at 100%.

5. ESP

ESP Newbie

Have you scanned everything with an anti-virus and spybot?

6. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Yep, with online scan, with installed anti-virus, with 2 spybot programs...

It's not a virus problem me thinks.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is a really odd problem, I must say. :think:

8. Aion-X

Aion-X Newbie

What program are u really using?

Firefox 80%
    Winamp 10%
    BitComet 10%

is possible but

Winamp 90%
    BitComet 10%
    So I close Winamp.
    BitComet 100%

is not.
    I used to have my explorer.exe at 100% all the time and it happen because I install a video codec and windows is try to get the video information to preview the file but unfortuantely I have a lot of video file from file sharing program such as edonkey in ur case bitcomet so my explorer have a lot of work to do.

1 person likes this.
  9. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

wat is the anti virus u install and wat is the spybot program u running?

10. yhng

yhng Newbie

Just a question. You using any logitech devices? Checked the print spooler? Does this happen in safe mode?

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Did'ja remove these spywares? Go and try AdAware, and also the SpywareBlaster. Then use CCleaner. Or any registry cleaner. These programs make Windows loads faster, and smoothly. Or perhaps do a defrag. And also keep updating these programs, for more protection. I hope it helps... [And I hope I'm not doing any promoting there, just recommendation....] :D :wave: :D

12. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

suspect is sme spyware running on the bkgrd. do a update on ur antivirus & anti spyware & do a deep scan. :think:

13. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

As I've said, I've done all that. Both in safe and normal mode. It's not a spyware problem, I suspect.

Nothing logitech in my pc here.

How do you check the print spooler? What would I be looking for?

14. yhng

yhng Newbie

Well if there's no jobs there it shouldnt be a problem....

hmm.. :think:

I wonder if it could be a physical problem though? Would it be possible that a faulty CPU would cause a series of interrupts and hence the high CPU usage?

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

maybe your windows have gone haywire :p

16. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

so erm...what's your system spec? what OS are you using? i remember last time when i use Windows ME, the darn thing wasn't very stable and tend to hang a lot. well anyways, it may be a good idea to backup and reinstall your system. :think:

17. Ject

Ject Newbie

take a snap shot of ur task manager of programs running then of performance..... that way, get a better look at whats going on.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

guess what, I've been having this problem since last week..
    once in a while, my usage will spike to full load,
    even after terminating all the programs, the usage load still stays the same (system idle process shows 99%). this is very WEIRD..as when idle process is at 99%, the machine should at full load..

i never had this problem before

19. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

first of all, did you guys update everything that's possible upgradable, ie windows, AV software, etc.

Also, did you guys have any background program that's constantly running, like folding at home and such? Check your start folder or autoexec to see what program is set to automatically start.

20. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

*errm* .. :eh:
    The "System Idle"-process is showing the free (!) percentage of available process-res and not that it's in use by 99%.
    When it's at 99%, your sys is doing actually "nothing".