Dell 1704FPT or 1905FP?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Adrian Wong, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello everyone!

Has anyone tried out the Dell 1704FPT (17") or 1905FP (19") LCD monitors yet?

As far as I can tell, the Dell 1704FTP is using a TN-Film matrix with a fast response time of 12ms, but very narrow viewing angle (just like the BenQ Joybook 7000's LCD panel) and poor colour saturation.

The Dell 1905FP is apparently using a Samsung-made PVA matrix panel. Therefore, it has a slow response time of 25ms but a good viewing angle and moderate colour saturation.

The thing is PVA panels are supposed to be less suitable for gaming than TN-Film panels. And as you can see, it's 25ms vs. 12ms. Then again, specifications are just specifications.

So, has anyone tried them out yet? Do you get any ghosting with either panels?

2. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

I've been using the 1704FPT for a few months now and I"ve been pretty happy with it. Though I'm not much of a gamer, PsYkHoTiK was using my monitor most of the time during our month-long gaming session, and he didn't have many complaints :). Not having any other LCDs around (besides the tired 13.3" panel, 50ms panel on my laptop!!) to compare it with, I can't say much about color saturation, and I don't have any complaints about the viewing angle. I do regularly use older Dell panels (1703FP, 1702FP, 1701FP, 1800FP), and things don't really look better all. Admittedly, those systems are using VGA connectors instead of DVI, though.

3. Adrian Wong

Because of its TN-Film matrix, the 1704FPT "should not" show much ghosting. But it's nice to know that you guys have tested it out and found the response time to be satisfactory. :thumb:

The thing is.. both the 17" 1704FPT and the 19" 1905FP have the same resolution - 1280x1024. So, text and graphics should look much sharper on the 1704FPT. Also, the 1704FPT is significantly cheaper than the 1905FP.

The thing is the 1905FP is supposed to have a good Samsung PVA panel that apparently does not show any ghosting, even with a response time of 25ms. But of course, it would be best if someone here actually tested it and can report on the ghosting.

Too bad there's no way to compare both monitors side-by-side. That would be the best way to determine which is the better monitor to get. :think:

4. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Well there is :). Of course, the only limitation will be in your bank balance :D. How about ordering both units from Dell and returning whichever one you think is worse? You'll only have to pay shipping and you'll have a definitive side-by-side comparison!

5. Adrian Wong

Huh?? I don't think that's possible here in Malaysia! :haha:

6. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Dell's return policy should apply everywhere, just the term that differs.

I might be able to tell you which is better pretty soon. 1905FP should come to me within a week or so.

I hate deal sites like Fatwallet. Please excuse me now, I have to figure out how to live for the next few months with a dangerously low bank balance...

7. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! Man, are you RICH or what?? :haha:

Cool!! :thumb:

8. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

I started out the month on stable (i.e. just enough to survive, not much extra) financial footing. Didn't last long :D. Unlike PsYkHoTiK, I don't have very deep bank balances to dip into all the time :p

9. Adrian Wong

Haha.. That's so true. PsY has like UNLIMITED funds! :haha:

Hey, do let me know how it stands up against the 1704FPT! :mrgreen:

Hey... It could be reviewed too! :wicked:

10. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

You know, it's really nice to have a 19" LCD beside a 17" LCD :D.

The display area is significantly larger than the 17 (of course), but the 17" looks a lot cooler. In fact, when I first powered up the 19" I thought it was faulty...not having another 1905FP around I don't know whether it's just mine or common to all.

Have to dash out now so I can't say much more...will update you in this thread when I get back.

11. Adrian Wong

Cool! I'll be waiting! :mrgreen:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Woi... :evil: You don't see me buying LCDs as and when I see fit... Stop trying to create a facade AAY... :whistle:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, everyone does think you are rich PsY. :mrgreen:

One question comes to mind, if PsYkHoTiK is not rich, then who is? :mrgreen:

14. I just ordered a 1704FPT today I should have it in a day or so. When I can get around to testing it on some games I'll let you know dude. I just got rid of all the 1905FPV models though :( So I'll have to do a comparison from memory

15. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

1905FPV? Which one's that??? Gotta say I like Dell's LCDs in general, but they have a confusing naming system :).

16. biatche

biatche Newbie

ok fellas, i too am deciding which monitor to get right now.
    i've been doing a bit of research, and it seems dell monitors are most worth getting in malaysia. i currently own a Samsung 710N but i got someone who wanna buy that from me. alrights.

first question:

what refresh rates does 1704FPT support? looking at the specification page, it seems to support only 60hz? Where as... 1905FP supports up to 75hz? or does it actually support unmentioned refresh rates?

oh wait.. wait.. are you gonna say..

second question:

refresh rates on lcd monitor, do they matter even at least A LITTLE BIT? or not at all, not even a bit?

i think i did test this a little, and i did feel a little difference when moving the mouse. it's often my way of judging a monitor's refresh rate. i'm quite capable of telling the difference between 60, 75 (nah not 72), 85, 100, 120 hz

well, lets not make it into a debate or anything, i'm just able to feel the difference somewhat somehow.

i perhaps answered the question myself?

so yeah, waiting for people's feedback before making my decision. i hope to make my order by tomorrow.

17. Hey Welcome to the forum

I did not like the 1704FPT it was great while playing games due to the lower responce time, but in windows it sucked terribly.

Check out my pics and harshe words in this thread > http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?p=195517#post195517

Keep in mind I had a 1704FPVs to compair it to, if you are not using a dual monitor setup, the screen will not bug you as much. Since I had a crisp clear monitor right next to it the 1704FPT the blacks looked red and hazy the whites were pinkish, it was just a sad comparison to the FPVs

18. biatche

biatche Newbie

yeah thanks.
    i did see the picture, but after looking at a lot of other reviews and people's feedback, i think your monitor could be just faulty. im merely guessing though, since not many people have this screen yet.
    why dont you ***** at dell about it? ask them to replace it, MAYBE... they could.. replace it and for all you know, it was a faulty POS.

19. I deal with Dell in heavy volume I've had 6 more since then and they are all the same, it's a totally different panel, you can even see from the specs the viewing ange and contrast are totally different. They needed to sacrifice some things to get that responce time.

20. biatche

biatche Newbie

what would you vouch for then? i wanna make my buy asap.