Dell E228WFP 22" or Dell S2409W 24"

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by starboykb, Oct 6, 2008.

1. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i am a gamers and i watch movies often. I was wondering which wide screen are good to go? Dell E228WFP 22" or Dell S2409W 24".

i just want to confirm about Dell S2409W 24", it seems like many readers out there doesn't like this new Dell display. :confused: they mention something about the wide screen display is not that good compared to the older 24" LCD. Any idea?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

1920x1080 is only meant for Full HD viewing, or PS3, Xbox360. It's not very suitable for desktop use due to less horizontal space.

I bought myself a BenQ G2400W not too long ago. I primarily use it for PS3 only because it comes with HDMI input.

3. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

than i should go for 22" then if i play PC game rather than having 1920x1080 HD lcd version?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. Chai

If you have a high end card, then you should get a screen capable a higher res screen. If not, stick to smaller screen.

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

If you watch movie often, getting a 19" wide screen would be sufficient.

I believe even if you download movies online, you would be downloading 720p most of the time instead of 1080p.

So 900 horizontal lines would be sufficient but of course the more the merrier

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The "old" 24" is using S-PVA panel, superior viewing angle, colour and not to mention price. It also has 120 more vertical pixels (1200 vs 1080).

PS. Dell actually lists out what panel is used on each of their monitors now :o
    24"-30" LCD Monitor

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Many games now support widescreen displays so it's quite okay to go with widescreen LCDs. I just prefer normal 4:3 format monitors for graphics editing.

8. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I have a Dell E228WFP and it's perfect for my needs. 1680x1050 is the native resolution.

9. Chai

I still prefer 4:3 since it works with all PC games.

Personally, I feel that 1920x1200 is very ideal. 4:3 if the game doesn't support 16:10/16:9. :mrgreen:

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

You can play 4:3 games on a 16:10/16:9 monitor too. Just gotta GPU scaling so that aspect ratio of the game remains 4:3 on the screen. :thumb:

11. Chai

Yes I know. But the problem with 1680x1080 is there's no standard 4:3 resolution that has 1080 pixel high, so it has to scale, and that doesn't look good on LCD.

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Any particular reason you are choosing Dell?

Why not Samsung 2253BW ?

13. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

thanks guys for the reply. the reason of going for Dell is because of price and warranty including the after service in my country are pretty good :thumb:.

Other brand doesnt offer that kind of service and only offer less than one year warranty :snooty:. Not to mention the price wasn't that attractive at all.

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

What country are you from

In Malaysia, Samsung has 3 years warranty

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Same here in Canada. Plus they offer free shipping. Now that's a deal breaker :thumb:

16. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Hmmm that's true eh. I didn't think of it that way. :think:

17. Chai

That's why I'm not a fan of wide screen monitors unless I'm using it purely for wide screen viewing, like home theater, PS3 etc... I don't like scaling.

18. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

Brunei, almost every PC hardware the pc shop sell here is less than one year. Only some of the dell stuff like lcd is 3 year warranty.

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

It's hard to find 4:3 monitors at a decent price where I live though. Either they're old models or they're much more expensive to their widescreen equivalents since they rarely have specials. :(

20. Chai

Yup, it's very hard to find now. I don't understand the trend of widescreen display for PC use. It's not practical at all. Reading documents is really a pain, unless you use just half of the screen.

My 24" 1920x1200 is fully used for PS3, and watching videos. I hardly use it for other things. My old and trusty 20" 1600x1200 gets the most usage.