Dell U2312HM

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I just "upgraded" from my old Dell 2007FP to the Dell U2312HM, going from 1600x1200 to 1920x1080. I wasn't too enthusiastic about it initially since it would mean losing 120 of vertical pixels for a gain of 320 horizontal pixels. But after using it for a while, I suddenly appreciated the value of the extra width - I can now pack more tabs in IE and Photoshop! :thumb:

So far, the loss of vertical pixels isn't quite as bad as I expected. I will get used to it. I do miss the CF card reader at the side though. :D

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

sometimes i split 2 programs on the same screen :thumb:

3. Adrian Wong

I split my dreamweaver into two views - code and layout, but it still looks weird. LOL!

Too bad it doesn't support Picture-In-Picture.

4. zy

Sigh, I wish I had the 23". LOL. But I paid a pretty good price for my 21.5" touch screen. Maybe I should try to sell this monitor and get the 23" :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

Touch screen? From Dell? How well does the touch screen work?

6. zy

Yup, from Dell. I rarely use it :lol:

It is optical based touch screen. Only supports 2 fingers and not pressure sensitive. ;) Kinda suck.

7. Adrian Wong

That's what I thought. That's why I never bothered with touch screen monitors. Not practical either. I find it faster to use a mouse. If I want to draw something, I would rather buy a Wacom tablet to do that.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why didn't you get the U2412M? Damn, that reminded me, I haven't completed my review! :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

We purchased an extra monitor for the clinic, so I'm actually "borrowing" it until there's a need for it at the clinic.

If I have to buy one, I would definitely opt for the U2412M. 1920 x 1200 goodness! Only extra pixels horizontally, no "loss" of vertical pixesl! :D

Too bad the Dell UltraSharp U series don't support an integrated card reader, or a USB 3.0 hub... :think:

10. Chai

You can get card reader on U2410, U2711, U3011. It's only the lower end. U series is basically Ultrasharp series.

The vertical space is very useful for productivity work. I can't live without it.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought they removed the card reader from their monitors. The thing is they are still using USB 2.0 ports. I have enough USB 2.0 ports. I need more USB 3.0 ports! :D

12. Chai

I can expect them to include a card reader for a RM600 monitor... :haha:

Anyway, I always use a fast card reader which is usually much better than the built-in.

13. Adrian Wong

You are on a desktop what.. I'm on a laptop, so every USB port counts! There is never enough. LOL! Having a built-in card reader frees up one USB port.

14. Chai

Well, just get a cheap powered USB hub if I were you. You only get to use the card reader when you are on the desktop.

15. Adrian Wong

I'm already using a USB hub integrated with the notebook cooler. :D