Diesel engines: Bigger *is* better!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Olle P, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Bigger engine means better fuel economy, and the best of the lot use only 118 grams of diesel per horsepower and hour (which is about half of what a regular truck engine consume).

The downside is that the power to weight ratio sucks, with 21kg engine weight per horsepower, gearbox and fluids not included.

Read more here: The most powerful diesel engine in the world.

Cheers
    Olle

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Does this apply to all diesel engines? :think:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That's a REALLY MASSIVE diesel engine!!! :shock: :thumb:

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I actually think that with diesels bigger is better.
    In this case there's also an improved overall design that increase efficiency further than a simple upscaling would do.

What puzzles me a bit is the background for these big engines. I thought shipping headed towards diesel-electric drive with multiple electrical engines mounted in steerable pods, like on QM2.

Cheers
    Olle

5. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

i wonder what the 0-60 time is :p

they need to add some NOS to that !

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

You mean 0-60 rpm? Half a minute or so, I'd guess...

Cheers
    Olle

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow! This is crazy! LMAO!

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

the torque alone can move my house :mrgreen:

9. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Running a ship on a single engine might provide the best fuel economy for really long hauls, but the alternative to use a number of smaller diesels for a diese-electric drive have several advantages, as can be seen in the Ecoship project:
    • Flexibility, the installed power generating capacity can be used for various ship functions and different situations;
    • Propeller torque capability, full torque at any propeller speeds;
    • Permits running diesel engines at a stable load with smoother transients;
    • Permits running diesel engines at a constant speed;
    • Permits running diesels engines at a more efficient load at optimum specific fuel consumption, hereby reducing emissions and impact on the environment;
    • Uniform machinery; simple spare parts logistics, maintenance, crew training, etc;
    • Flexibility in location of main engines allows to optimise cargo space volume and arrangement;
    • Redundancy, both in the sense of safety and freedom in maintenance routines.
    Seems better, IMO... unless you have a really huge ship that run best with half a dozen of these mega-diesels powering the generators. :mrgreen:

Cheers
    Olle

10. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

"118 grams of diesel per horsepower and hour"

:roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So you are saying that huge engine runs a hour on 118 grams of diesel fuel???? That seems impossible!:shock: :think: :faint: :?

11. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

i believe its 119 grams of diesel per horsepower in a hour time. there for if it makes 100 horse power then it uses ......

alot of diesel.

-Major (ok so i failed math a few times, no biggie)

12. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

It's 0.260 £ = 117.934 g.
    Max power is 108,920 hp, but that's not at economy speed.
    It says total consumption is 1,660 gallons/h at economy speed. Question is if that's US or imperial gallons... :think:
    That boiles down to about 60,000 hp at economy speed, a bit more if it's imperial and less if it's US gallons.

Cheers
    Olle

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:shock:

108.920 hp... WOW!!!

Awesome!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What was the engine for, A warship?:wicked: