Different types of P4

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Assassin, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

When i go and buy a P4. the pricelist stated there are some P4 hav A and B behind like P4 2.4B Ghz. Can i know what is the different and some said that A is better than B coz run faster FSB? Some even dun hav A or B. very confuse.

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i think shops should label them with the P4 codenames like Willamatte or Prescott or whatever......

3. dreamer

dreamer Newbie

original P4 comes with 256K and 400mhz FSB(100MHz quad-pumped)

A stand for 512K L2 cache and 400mhz FSB(100MHz quad-pumped)
    B stand for 512K L2 cache and 533mhz FSB(133MHz quad-pumped)

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

dreamer is right. It is to differentiate the Bus speed and L2 cache size.

For below 2Ghz, There's a 'plain' version which comes with 256K L2 cache (Willamette), and 'A' version which comes with 512K L2 cache(Northwood).

For 2Ghz and above, There's a 'plain' version which runs at 100MHz FSB, and 'B' version which runs at 133MHz FSB. Both are Northwood core, and comes with 512K L2 cache.

5. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

yalor, the shop should state the L2 and the FSB so that ppl know whats the different. Thank you everyone. now i understand liao.

6. Chai

But most of the time, even the shop keeper doesn't know the difference. I never buy from those people. :)

7. goldfries

LOL. most times you can tell them more than they can tell you.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

they dun care bout the model .. they care bout money .. :p

9. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

Huray. i just bought a p4 2.4B Ghz. now is time to o/c my p4. the p4 box stated that the version is C1 stepping. is it better than the B0 stepping or is there any other batch that is good for o/c? if C1 not that good then i gonna change it in my friend shop.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

c1 is muccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh better than b0...ya gonna get near 3.0ghz if not above :p
    keep ur c1 :)

11. Hawks

Hawks Newbie

Assassin,

From the horse's mouth, I've OCed my P4B 2.4 to 3.06 with out a glitch. :lol: I just built this rig about two weeks ago and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with everything I bought! :D I lot of ppl think that P4's are as OCable as the Athlon chip, but I am proof that that is a bunch of *%!#!!! :p Buddy of mine OCed his 2.5 to 3.5, the key is a good cooling sys, bro. I just ordered a new case and I'll be ordering a new PS to power this crazy rig within the a week. I'll post some pics as soon as I get everything together. Peace!

-Hawks ;)

12. Chai

How about my Athlon XP from 1.47GHz to 2.2Ghz? :D Some even got to 2.4GHz!

13. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

:D :D :D
    Hip Hip Huray for all P4 2.4Ghz overclocker hitting over 3Ghz mark.

14. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

u all heard b4 some company that they make the P4 for laptop, and say that is a m version but it is wrong. I heard that they just u P4 and clock it down and the heat wont be so hot, so they can put it in a laptop...IS it true?? :lol:

15. goldfries

hrmrmr.r..............when i 1st got this P4(m) 2.0 it was showing 1196mhz. but now it's 1993mhz already after i reset BIOS.

WCPUID confirmed it's correct.

16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yup... before p4-m was released, some... in fact a lot, manufacturers resorted to the standard p4 for their laptop solution....

only now there's a number of p4-m notebooks...

but far more interesting now is the emergence of the Centrino chips... aka Pentium-M chips!

Acer got them, NEC got them too... and now DELL and soon Compaq!

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

How u confirm that it is 2.0 May be it can be down clock from higher chip?? :lol:

18. goldfries

just need to confirm the mhz. i don't care if it's clocked down.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

use WCPUID. of course you need to know the string code of your processor core.

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

remember that p4-m on the laptops have speedstep technology... a p4m 2.0GHz would drop down to around 1.3-1.4 (not sure) when running on battery...