Digital Photography's Predecessor - Film Talk

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by djspinnet, Oct 4, 2006.

1. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

So the other thread of mine was going a bit war off topic so I thought I'd split the film conversation into it's own proper thread..

Thing is, there's always a trusty lab to process my film in Penang. But Sunway is just overpriced ler. Even the film here is way overpriced. Consumer Superias actually cost RM9 in the photo shops here and RM11 in Guardian!!! I got my friend to get it from Pudu for me instead recently, only RM6.90 per roll. And I've not seen any B&W film here (In Sunway).

So probably my only problem would be transportation as I don't have a car. But well, just buy in larger amounts when I see then, stock and slowly use la :)

Developing.. I guess I'll just send to labs to develop only, no scanning, no printing.. I'll scan in on my own and print those I want. Might want to try developing my own after my semester ends too.. or after I move out of my current place (if I do).

I have a film compact, Pentax espio series, and I'm looking at getting either a FM2, FM3a or a Pentax K1000.

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm even processing alone you need a reliable lab. the 'normal' shops mess up in the processing sometimes with their 'standard' practice. In film, the processing is everything. How you want the colours, contrast, saturation, etc.... much like RAW processing.

That's again why I stopped film for the moment. Cost really is an issue :) Even good films are darn expensive, that's if u can manage to get them in the 1st place these days. :)

But nevertheless. shooting full manual is very very fun :D You actually become very careful to capture each frame and you'd take time to frame the composition and make sure the lighting is right. :D Gah... I should bring out my F2A on the next photography trip.... just talking about it is making my hands itchy again!

3. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Yeah, and those *my shots are not PS-ed at all, cos PS-ing the shot after shooting it is fake* should read this..

But yeah, what I actually look for is a reliable lab to do colour processing. Am tempted to try out B&W processing on my own.. it's mostly chemistry 101, and my friend's father has his own mini darkroom and printing machine in his house, so I can probably one day when free, get him to teach me.

Or you can try your own B&W processing :) You might even know my friend's dad.. he's maxby in photomalaysia.com. Go ask him for lessons or look here for his article.

I got my stock from Pudu. Don't try the modern, new looking shops. I can't find anything past consumer Kodaks and Fuji Superias.

Yeah, and that's the reason why I'm looking at getting the FM2/3a :D

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What do you mean by this? :think:

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I think she means that all those who think that PS-ing is faking a shot should read that...

Heh

6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Yup, I meant that, and especially the bunch who takes it to the point of a religious war...