Digital TV signal in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I doubt you will be seeing it in that format. Blu-ray format (as in using the disc as a medium) is very secure (especially as firmware gets updated regularly).

Rips can be done but BD features are far too integrated with online servers (AACS and BD+) to be circumvented and redistributed on BD (again as a medium).

Chinese pirates crack Blu-ray DRM, sell pirated HD discs

(also the act of Piracy is a no no as per forum rules though the state of it is ok)

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I guess 720p should be able satisfy most user :think:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

1080p ftw... :thumb:

That and uncompressed PCM Audio / DTS HD / Dolby True HD.

The benefits of havings tons of space on a BD.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe one day they can remove all the BD features, we just want pure uncompressed 1080 HD lol

If not, till then, we would have to survive on 9GB HD rip to burn in a DVD, kinda irony, storing a new generation DVD ripped movie in old DVD media lol

5. lee_what2004

kinda irony, yes

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Uncompressed Audio takes up more space than there is on a normal DVD. Its 50GB vs 8GB. :roll: Like I said, it can be broken, but not replicated on the media. Not as long as Sony has a tight reign over the media, laser diodes, and firmware (that is constantly upgraded via the internet or discs themselves).

Blu-ray is aimed and marketed at high end home theaters (like our setup).

back on topic pls. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. Once you go 1080p, there's no turning back. Now I don't even bother looking at DVDs. BD FTW!!!

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. So it's really not worth going for a 1366x720 LCD TV? The higher-end 1920x1080 TVs are so much more expensive... :wall: Especially those with 100/120 Hz support. :mad:

9. Chai

If you are buying 40" or below, 720p is fine. But you are missing out the 1080p on bigger screens.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

batman 1080p BD blows my mind off...

11. Adrian Wong

I'm thinking of getting about 42" because watching normal aspect on that would be roughly similar to my 34" right now.

A 42" Sharp Aquos 1366x768 panel would cost around RM 4.5K but a 46" (there's no 42") 1920x1080 panel would cost RM 9K. :(

12. lee_what2004

after HD, there will be Ultra HD, after that, they just keep increasing the number of pixel. nothing new anymore?

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah there will be increases over time but it takes a LOT of infrastructure to crank it out (plus adoption rates).

If it was so easy why doesn't everybody have it?

The US is probably the largest market for everything HD and even we don't have stellar adoption rates yet (and areas are still migrating to HD transmissions).

14. Chai

I've seen tons of cheap 1080p at 42", around the 4k range.

Actually it's from HD, Full HD, and Quad HD.

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, but they do not support 100/120 Hz. I will have to check if it's worth paying a premium for 100/120 Hz though...

On CRT TVs, 100 Hz makes a LOT of difference - no flicker. But higher refreshes should not matter for LCDs. Will need to eyeball to confirm though.

16. Chai

I thought 100Hz is like standard these days? Even the 42" LCD in my house is 100Hz, and it costed only RM6000 early this year.

17. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

im still living with 34" CRT~ :( :( will wait for the samsung series9 50" LED LCD or the sony Z series 200Hz price to drop by half~ :pray: :pray:

18. Adrian Wong

Nope. Unless specifically stated, LCD TVs have a refresh rate of 50/60 Hz. One manufacturer (I forgot which) even has an LCD TV that does triple frames - 150 Hz, but I think that's overkill...

19. Chai

I know there are still 60Hz LCD, but 100Hz is quite normal, and should be easy to find. But I don't think it really matters. Do you have any complains with your Dell 2408?

20. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

sony z series boost a 200hz refresh rate~ :silenced:

KDL-52Z4500 : Z Series : BRAVIA™ LCD TV : Sony Singapore