Discuss about Proton here!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lung, Mar 4, 2004.

1. lung

lung Just Started

I cannot believe this! :doh: You are probably the only person in ARP that supports Proton as a multinational company.

I don't know about Petronas, but I seriously disagree with Proton being a respectable multinational company. For one, Proton does not gain all the money from its sales. They get it from the government. Two, even if they gain all the money from its sales, it's not from an international business, it's from their domestic business. And even from their domestic business, there's nothing to be respectable about. Because we are 'forced' to buy Proton cars, since other cars are much more expensive thanks to the taxes imposed.

Sure, the government has made Proton a rich company. But I think the government give these aids to help a company to become a respectable international company. In the case of Proton, it's just like spoiled rich brat... He has all the money, but he doesn't really know how to earn some.

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

tan? Who? :think:

When Hundai started to make cars anyway? They started from making ships and now into cars and they have gone so far. :thumb:

Proton? After nearly 20 years, still same. Cars with no quality. :snooty:

3. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Malaysia can be criticised. It is just too much negative thing is said to Malaysia. You see in PROTON, if we do not have PROTON, do we have an engine that we can call our own. Do we have a car that even it is not as good as Honda, Toyota bla bla bla, at least it is something. Look at Gen-2 compared to SAga, Look at Perdana V6. At least it is an achievement. If we do not give support to our own family members, what else, other people. Yes PROTON might be lousy, initially, but with more funds, they can make better and better cars. Also, if it is really that very lousy, look at what the Britons, true English men have to say about our national car. There was once, a very long time ago in the 90's, Proton Wira type cars were rated number 3 in Britain. What is that friend, rated number 3 for what I have forgotten but I remembered that it was for something good.

4. vinzlim

vinzlim Newbie

well, i know nothing about cars really. but i must say proton is just a juara kampung which if u feel proud of it go ahead. and worst of all, is that all this juara kampung receives so much criticism and they take nothing in, as if they are vulnerable. and that is sick. and i hope their time will come one day. furthermore,it is all because of the government's backing that they feel that way, i guess. they will come to nowhere in the end. and governemtn's money being wasted like that also. do u know htose money being injected into this failed corporations can help how many hardcore poor household already? in the end those money just feed those who arn't doing the jobs well enuf or maybe not doing anything.

regarding the techinology u r proud of, i don't know what kind of comparison u've made. but if u wanna compare gen-2 wif a saga, if those two standards are still the same, then malaysia is really hopeless. after 20 years still the same engine. of course improvement is a must. but pls lar don compare the gen-2 (new) and the saga (old) (btw it's a stupid comparison). compare wif gen-2 wif other engines from honda or toyota. and i doubt gen-2 will fare better than them. the names sounds great but still a piece of out dated junk. corrct me if i am wrong. no point comparing with weaklings and be the kings of weaklings.

compare wif the best and try to overun the best. and we're just talking about technology here. we haven't finish yet with the company management which is a mess. and the business still haven't produce profits, (hell they haven't clear their debt yet or make a turnover). if u r proud with it, go ahead lar.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is going off topic, but I would like to clarify Gen-2's hype.

1. No one has actually owned it, how do you know it's good???
    2. Haven't you see the pictures from autoworld pictures which are posted on our forum? Quality is not what I would mention about Gen-2.
    3. Well, finally they have made their own engine. They even claim that the engine is as powerful as 1.8l engine. Yeah, a 10 year old 1.8l engine probably. The engine design in the Nissan Sentra I'm driving is more than 10 years old, but the first 1.6 Campro is only as powerful as the engine in my car (a 1.6l engine also).

Ok, back top topic. :)

6. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

That is why need more funds. Also, if you do not buy, then how can PROTON improve, in order to improve, people must buy, to provide $ for their R&D, then only can improve if R&D functioning. R&D not functioning, then PROTON can say bye bye. PROTON is how about 30 years old. How old is Mercedes or Nissan???

Also, are you sure that government masuk duit on them??? No is it??? Government only raise taxes of other cars only what??? Mana ada masuk duit in PROTON?? Don't talk about government owning shares in it via its investment arm, Khazanah.

7. vinzlim

vinzlim Newbie

that's agood off topic. that's a good elaboration of wat i want to stress.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

last time is last time..

old Proton Saga are reliable!.. the QC is good too !

i've a 1989 Proton Saga @ home !..
    my aunt has a Proton Iswara..

compare both cars... Proton Saga is much better ..

the Proton iswara has lots rust spots !

Wira .. Always leak ..

Waja.. giving lots of problem .!
    Waja here.. an automatic 1.6X ..
    guess what .. lots of problem cropping up ..
    why ?..
    BAD QC!!!!
    1. engine stall .. since we bought it..
    2. power window fail (common) .. since we bought it..
    3. brake pads worn up fast .. (some in 2 years) less than a year (rear left)
    4. brake button went in (common) less than 2 years
    5. lights easily blow .. (common)
    -both rear cabin lights. less than 1 year
    -rear brake light.. less than 1 year
    6. automatic transmission problem .. less than 2 years..
    7. black matte paint of the side mirror came off (right)... less than 2 years (common)
    8. petrol leaking from the engine !

FYI : problem no. 6 happened after few days sending the car for overhaul.

compared that with the saga.. the only problem of the saga is power window!.. thats all !...

i have 2 other hondas @ home..
    1991 accord... only clutch leaked (this year) that all !
    2004 CRV .. no problem.. penang-johor trip right after gettin it..

see.. all my cars @ home went long journey trips!..
    only the WAJA suffered lots of problems!

so .. see how terrible the Proton QC has dropped??
    even the SAGA traveled up to genting highlands without prob!..

9. Chai

Whenever Proton launches a new model, what's the first public reaction? "Wait for the first batch, see got problem or not!" Not many people dare to buy, because of poor QC! Simple as that. Look at how much problem the first batch of Waja has!

But for other car manufacturers, people will straight away order the car if they like it!

Things like this will only happen on Proton. Look at those Gen-2 demo units, even those limited demo units have poor QC! How do you expect people going to buy... :nuts: :doh:

So does that mean that they shift the renevue from QC to R&D? Hahaha, laughable. Look at their so called R&D, copy the interior of Lotus cars, and use cheap plastic materials! :haha:

10. Brian

Brian Newbie

hyndai had similar beginnings like proton eg mitsubitshi engines all that and now look where are they?
    and look at our proton.......in conclusion, proton has not been a success but imo, a shadow of what it could be due to lousy QC and many other factors

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

but they use robyncom caps :thumb:

12. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

proton sux0r.............if gov dun support using our money.........proton sure die long long time alreadi........proton sell many cars in foreign countries coz they onli sell special quality cars & some more sell below cost........ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ...........dats why proton need gov help.......dats why proton reduce quality of local cars.......so dat proton can make money from us & use the money 2 subsidize cars dat they sell in other countries.......... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ........st00pid or not......we all get cheated by our country's car company......... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

14. zy

one thing for sure..

PROTON NEVER LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES!

my proton waja is not the first batch ..
    but why problems still exist ?..

R&D ?... what R&D ? .. deos PROTON have an R&D department ?
    if yes.. what do they do there?.. goyang kaki & comeup with AH BENG PROTONS ???

hello ... PROTON ISWARA IS SO OLD... yet .. FACELIFT..
    PROTON SAGA design so old.. yet .. FACELIFT AGAIN
    PROTON WIRA... FACELIFT !..
    PROTON PERDANA <-- at lesat they came up with V6..
    PROTON JUARA <- box car!

why the hell did they spend so much on R&D since they is only facelift ???
    or are they telling me they sacrifice 10years of poor QC just to develop Gen2 ? :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

15. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

r&d?????..........should be C & RQ.........COPY & REDUCE QUALITY!!!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. Chai

I'm replying to ariya's post here.

Fortunately, my family owns a few cars from different manufacturers so I can make a comparison. But I have to say that Proton is the worst manufacturer. Do you expect water leakage in your brand new Satria? Maybe you can accept that as small mistakes. ;) But I don't.

No, I don't hunt for small mistakes. Why do you say I hunt for small mistakes anyway? QC problems are not a tiny mistake! Maybe you should start working in factories to understand what is QC all about.

When these type of QC problem doesn't occur on ANY other manufacturers, I WOULD NOT expect it on our local car manufacturer. Do you see people here complaining about Perodua? Nope. So it's pretty clear that Proton is having serious problem.

Well, unfortunately, you also do not seem to accept certain facts like poor QC when it's proven, and you can even ignore it as what you call a 'tiny mistake'. Well, good for you if you like your Proton. But I love my more reliable Nissan Sentra. And I'm pretty sure almost all the past/current Proton owners will agree with me.

Buying car is not easy, and maintaining a car is certainly not easier. Why would I save money on the initial price of the car, but end up spending more repairing the car, or not having a car with you when you need it because it's in the workshop?

17. lung

lung Just Started

Has it ever occur to you... That if Proton does not exist in the first place, cars will be much cheaper to purchase in this country? :whistle:

And the fact that they made their cars better when selling them overseas... Than when selling them domestically... Is just despicable! :mad::

Somemore they copied their logo from one of my favourite cartoon series... Thundercats! :lol:

Anyway, I think Proton is just another contributing factor to the 'Malaysian Boleh' spirit... Or should I say, ego? Thanks to this 'ego', our government has 'invested' (more like throw away) tonnes of money just to show the world (is the world even watching?) that we, Malaysians, can do it. So what if we can? Bah.

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! After all these 'Malaysia Boleh''s stuffs, still not much people know Malaysia. When talking about Malaysia, they will go like huh? But when talking about Singapore, they will go like... yeah... :p

19. Chai

I still remember 10 years ago when I went to Europe, someone asked me where did I come from. I said Malaysia, then South East Asia, then above Singapore only he knew where it is! :wall:

Ok, back to topic!

20. zy

when you talk about malaysia.. they thought malaysia is a jungle!.. LOL..
    must be because of sabah/sarawak.. hehehe..