DIY Smart Home System!

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ON-OFF SmartHome Technologies

My friend, Jeremy Choo, just pointed out a really interesting Smart Home system - ON-OFF SmartHome Technologies: Automate your Home, with D.I.Y, low cost and expandable solution

It looks really affordable! It would be really cool to install something like that, although I will have to consider the security ramifications since this will be directly accessible online.

The cost won't be the actual modules since they are about USD 17 each, but the wiring necessary to connect to them.

I suppose the cheapest way is to install these modules in the ELCB box where the wires would terminate anyway, but I will also have to then lay at least one, preferably two (for backup reasons) LAN cables to the ELCB box to connect to the Net bridge which is necessary to control the system.

Here's their installation guide - http://www.onofftech.com/pdf/StepByStep.pdf. Looks doable. Just wonder if it's worth doing it. Jenny will think I'm nuts! :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Adrian Wong

Okay, IMHO, stuff that would be cool to link to this system would be :

- Perimeter lights
    - Away from home lights
    - Air-conditioners
    - Ventilation fans

I estimate that an average single-storey house or condo will only require US$ 49-66 worth of modules, because you will only need it to control a few things.

If you have a double-storey house and have a separate ELCB box for the upper floor, then you will have to double it, but that's only if you need to control anything upstairs.

3. yorker

yorker Newbie

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I'd rather go with a system like this: Belkin WeMo. This ensures the embedded powerlines will not be affected in case anything fails (like all electrical systems, it will eventually fail).

5. Adrian Wong

6. Adrian Wong

The Belkin WeMo is only useful if you intend to control a device that uses a power point. You cannot use it to control the lights, for example.

I think it would be really cool if I can at least control some of the lights in my house. Of course, I can add timers to set "away from home" lights but they aren't very reliable.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. peaz

Can always use standlights, etc for that. My reservation with the systems like what you posted is the potential of the switch failing. That would really suck...

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm... you make a good point.

It would be impossible to control outdoor lights, like the ones along the perimeter wall. That said, I think we can workaround that by NOT routing the power cables to those lights directly to the ELCB, but to a power socket next to the ELCB. Then the Belkin WeMo can control that socket.

Hmm.. I wonder how much each WeMo costs over here when it's available... It's not available here though :

Is the WeMo available in Singapore, Ken?

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Although I work in an automation field (not building automation), I don't see the point of this for myself yet. hehe.

10. Adrian Wong

Well, it's more of a safety issue. I don't intend to login from outside to turn on the air-conditioner or disable the alarm before I head home. At most, I want to be able to turn on "away from home" lights, like a light or two inside... and the perimeter lights while we are outstation or overseas.

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

So randomly turn on certain lights rather than using a timer? ;)

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Internet-controlled smart home systems? I heard there are some companies in Malaysia which is specializing in these solutions. :)

13. peaz

Nope. Not available here yet too. It might be pretty expensive too at about a couple of hundred since it's sold at $50 per pop at the states. A cheaper solution is to probably hack your own - Arduino Web Switch : Turn your kettle ON via Internet | www.hobbyist.co.nz. But obviously, buying the Belkin is essentially paying Belkin to do the hacking job for us plus making it beautiful at the same time.

14. The_YongGrand

The Arduino solution has only one relay. Additional work/programming must have to be done to accomodate more relays, which is a bit tedious if one hasn't learned programming yet.

I remembered there are PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) which can be interfaced with whatever lightings/powerpoints at home to the computer. They are not cheap, but quite worth it. :)

15. peaz

One Arduino relay per socket. Just like WeMo. But I suppose just buying the WeMo would be easier.

16. The_YongGrand

I agree with that. The Ethernet Shield/Wifi Shield (Shield is an accessory for Arduino where it can be stacked on it for specific function) is expensive. A combination of Arduino, Wifi shield, relay board (and some time to learn the Arduino) can be much expensive than a WeMo. :)

17. Adrian Wong

My electrician just talked me out of it... He says it's easier to simply install and use a timer. The timer can be programmed to turn on and off lights at different intervals, giving the impression that someone is in. Besides, I'm staying in a semi-guarded community.

The good thing about having a connected home is that if you accidentally left something on, you can always turn it off remotely. Or in one father's case, check up on what your kids are doing in your absence - Busted: Dad Discovers Daughter's House Party With His Energy-Monitoring Android App - Rebecca J. Rosen - The Atlantic

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: