Dodgy Pentium 4s from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by MidLifeCrysis, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MidLifeCrysis

MidLifeCrysis Newbie

Read an article on this site about ES Core 2 CPUs being sold from China.I bought "New" Model 670 P4 3.8Ghz from a bloke on ebay recently.He had great feedback and already sold almost 2000 items and had 100% refund.When I got it it was in an Intel box w/heatsink but no paperwork /manual or hologram sticker on the box.I figured it was OEM ,the chip looked brand new,no pin marks on the contacts.I built a system using it and it fired up no problems.I went to test the system SiSoftware Sandra and it told me my chip was an Engineering Sample.CPUZ and Intels processor ID utility said the same.I contacted the ebay seller,I won't reveal his name because KAGA0719 might sue me or whatever,and he offered to refund me but minus $30.00 for postage,plus I would have to pay post to send it back.Bugger that,it could end up "lost in the mail" and I would lose money and the chip.I did some research on the web and thought I'll just keep it.It's rare,you aren't supposed to be able to buy one.I could probably sell it to an overclocker for more than I paid.But better that,I got this guy in Hong Kong a bit worried.I informed him that Intel did not take kindly to retailers selling ES cpus and I had a good mind to inform them of what had happened.He said don't do that,my mistake,I'll split the postage.Told him to get stuffed,I contacted Intel,sent them all our details and emails and that THEY would be contacting him.Of course I didn't contact Intel but it felt pretty good having a go at that cheat.The chip also has no Q in the model number or ES on it anywhere.Anyway,I just thought I would let people know that there's more than just dodgy powdered milk and Core2s coming out of China.Cheers

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Nice story :p I would probably have done the same as you did. I would've kept the CPU just because it's an ES.

3. MidLifeCrysis

MidLifeCrysis Newbie

Oh I plan on keeping it unless someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.I don't think the multiplier is unlocked on it,my BIOS showed 14X to 19X.If it was unlocked it would be "more" special but it is kinda cool in some circles to say you have a ES chip.I want to get a proper heatsink/fan for it before I try overclocking it.It's on a GA-945P-DS3 motherboard with a 8800 GTS/XP Pro for playing games that don't like my Q6600/Vista system.I built it for something to tweak,the wife hates it when I upgrade the other computer cause she misses Oprah and other crap she looks at.This looks like nice site to join for info.I haven't been messing with computers for long so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and its great to be able to chat to people who have been there done that to help you along.

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, but China does not make Intel proc rights o_O..great story there..ouch, maybe you could get your wife a netbook or something while you tweak or upgrade her system :D..cheers dude :D

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is a normal 'unlocked' ES chip. It's only partially unlocked.

6. MidLifeCrysis

MidLifeCrysis Newbie

Well thats good news but I don't really understand the "unlocked" part.If it only goes as high as 19X at default settings that works out to 3.8ghz.I would have thought if the multifier was unlocked you could set it to whatever you wanted.Please explain,I'm new at this.what would a "stock" cpu have?Thanx:think:

7. Chai

Only a EE edition processor will allow you to choose multipliers. So ES is not as good as you think it is.

8. MidLifeCrysis

MidLifeCrysis Newbie

I still don't understand how it is unlocked.If it were a stock chip would it only have 19X as a multiplier?When I said good it was because I've read some ES chips are unlocked and some are not.It would seem better(gooder!) if it was unlocked.I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about this cpu.And I hope I haven't offended a member.I wasn't trying to say anything bad about China,only the retailer.I'm not racist,I hate everyone equally.My wife does have a laptop and I am forever "unsnarling" it for her.She is not allowed to touch my new rig.Thanks again for your help.:)

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

no problem sir...we at techarp are always there to help ya :p

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! I'll bet he peed his pants! :haha: :haha:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

LOL, you should ask him to refund you, and for him to pay you the postage.

He has no choice

12. MidLifeCrysis

MidLifeCrysis Newbie

Yes I believe his pants are a bit moist.He has contacted me twice asking me to send the chip back.He will refund all my money and I can send him the CPU without the heatsink/fan to save postage costs.But I'm going to keep it cause it's not something you find everyday.I'm sure I can find someone who wants it so they can overclock the piss out of it.Then I'get an E8400.

13. Adrian Wong

I really wonder where they get so many of these ES processors... :think:

Been asking Intel but they are keeping mum. :mad:

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm guessing its an inside job.

maybe the guys wants it back just incase intel decided to trace where the chip came from?

15. Adrian Wong

Been digging a bit. Appears that large OEMs may actually receive thousands of ES processors. But I wonder how they get so many out of the factories.

16. Chai

Or maybe they are doing it on purpose so they can get rid of those semi broken chips without any lawsuit.

17. Adrian Wong

My thoughts too. Still digging on the issue. It doesn't sound like the work of only a few greedy workers.... :think: