Does anyone have a gigabyte 6800 passively cooled?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by BigMike20VT, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

I have one, & on unlocking the pipes i get slight sparklies.

i am hopeful that this is a heat issue rather than defective pipes as this baby gets HOT however i was wondeirng if anyone else here has this card?

if so what are your experiences of it, with the passive cooler, & whether you felt the need to upgrade to active cooling?

also do you know what the DDR ram is rated at? am guessing tis 2.2ns however confirmation would be great. have found reviews which allowed the core etc to be oc'ed slightly without issues but no mention of the pipes, & am guessng that unlocking these would cause a lot of heat generation??

cheers

M.

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Have you tried blowing a fan at the passive heatsink?

3. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

no i havent to be honest. i probably should have done however i have just ordered an arctic cooler instead.

i may give that a go however & see what happens.

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

artic silencer. :thumb:

mine just died yesterday. no idea why. the fan just stopped. the website says it comes with 6 years warranty. however, when i got it, i didn't get a receipt. :haha:

oh well... remember to keep your receipt!

5. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

if its a manufacturess warranty then contact em anyway.

they didnt make arctic coolers 6years ago for modern cards so it has to be in warranty.

1 person likes this.
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, besides, they can trace your cooler's manufacture date. Just contact them directly for a RMA.

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Hehehe. Good point :lol:

8. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

ok so a bit of an update.

I opened my case & put a big wack off fan on it, the hs usually burning to the touch, was as cool as a cucumber, & i still got sparlies :(

they are only slight, & a look on the web shows some people advising upping the voltage a touch, where as otehrs say it is unadvisable & can bugger your card up.

so any thoughts on wther its worth it? i dont think twice about over vaulting my processor, however is there a way to do it to test without flashing the bios, or do i have to flash it?

i know some of this info is on otehr places, but much of it is contradictory.

thanks for your thoughts

M.

9. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

As I understand it, you have to do the BIOS flash if you want to give your 6800 more voltage. But in relative terms, it's pretty simple because most other cards require a voltmod :lol:
    But whether increasing the voltage will help or not, I don't know :think:

10. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

ok cheers mate. I managed to flash my 9800pro easily enouhg so i will give it a go at the weekend.

will post my ressults here.

cheers

M.

11. jujuzombie

jujuzombie Newbie

well give it a go if you have got the sparkie still then it your pipes which are defective or something.
    same as the msi 6800 td128 that i have, used riva tuner to unlock the pipes but got the snow flakes even on the desktop. kinda lazy after that to try other methods.

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Good luck :thumb:

13. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

well i can post my results, the volt mod did nothing for the pipes, & were exactly the same as before, so i was a little dissapointed, & flashed back.

however the good news is that with good cooling, i let cool bits overclock my card, & it stopped at 420 core (iirc) & 811mhz ram

the above am going off memory so may be a touch inaccurate, am a little tempted to voltmod it again & see what the core can hit with a bit more juice.... but then maybe i should quit while i am ahead.

3dmark 03

with card overclocked, 12/6 pipes & on my Barton 3200+ 1GB DDR 3200, nforce2 soundstorm

10050 which in my book is a nice score, & is 2500 more than at stock

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'd advise you against automatic overclocks. It's best that you do it manually (do either the ram or core first.) :D

I don't trust auto overclocks and manual ones usually yield better results. Just make sure to stress test it. A few hours of non stop gaming (a few different type of games) should do it. :mrgreen:

15. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

well if its not 1 problem its another :(

agh! i just baught an arctic cooler for my passively cooled gigabyte 6800, only to find there is no power socket on the card.

anyone know if i could get a motherboard fan power 3pin - graphics card fan power 2 pin extension cable, & if so where from & how much?

many thanks

M.

(am in England)

16. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

oh well, i gave it away and bought a new one. RM140 :shock:

wow, no power socket. that's a first...

:faint: :faint: :faint:

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Just plug it into one of the motherboard fan headers...it doesn't make much of a difference.

18. BigMike20VT

BigMike20VT Newbie

ok, i need to find an extension cable with a 3 pin - 2 pin power connector.

thanks for your thoughts.

19. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

That's strange, does the connector have a really short wire or something?

20. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

if i'm not mistaken it uses those 2-pin socket normally found on graphic cards .. :think: