Driving in penang

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PowerSlide, Dec 29, 2007.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Im sure there are few of you penangites here at this forum who never ever once been mad about driving in penang roads. Myself have been driving a few years and every single day would meet a idiot driver. Here are few things bad ive encounter about penang drivers..

Speed
    -speeding is not cool on busy roads but penang drivers would speed just about anywhere doesnt matter if the road is suitable or not. i cant even understand some drivers who tail me doing 60km/h on the inside lane..get out of my back you idiot!

Lane dicipline
    -some drivers cant even drive on a straight line and worst is coming out from junctions. Ive encounter some would take 2 whole lane just to come out from junction. Amazing driving maybe these drivers didnt take their lunch or dinner so they don't have the strength to turn the steering

Following the rules
    -there are no rules driving in penang, 2 lane become 4 lane and cut queue is the normal thing. Few days ago a man driving a nissan pickup honk me like mad because i don't want to cut queue to the front. Driving sensibly is a wrong thing

Sense of direction
    -If you wana turn right 100m in front stay on right lane but no, some will be on left lane and the last moment force everyone out of their way to turn in.

There are even more to add in but just too much, driving here in penang must have full concentration not cause of a tree would fall down or what but some idiot drivers. Don't need to start with those young drivers who have moded their cars silly, these are even the worst kind on the road.

I try to drive carefully and sensibly everyday, its just hectic driving everyday with all these idiots around. Anyway just my thought so no offence to anybody especially those from penang ;)

2. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Sounds very similar to driving in Bangkok. LOL :haha:

Tuk tuks & motorcycles can go against traffic there. Try doing that in a car & the police will fine you!:haha:

You can "unofficially" break the law on Sundays there, but I heard they're tightening the rules a little now. (Damn it!:mrgreen: )

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Come to KL and it's 10X worse. Go further down south to Johor and I will show you cars that drive on the OPPOSITE side of the road!

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Ohh my any of you come to visit here in Kingston I am sending cabs for you no rental cars .. its brutal :shock:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

don't worry, i get that headache too :p
    even a kancil can take up 2 lanes along jalan masjid negeri :wall:
    the guy driving it must be too high touching his girlfriend or something.... he cant keep to his own lane :faint:

yes, i hate the 2 lanes become 4 lanes too. i always try to block the side lane :p i wish i can throw some spikes there :p

another problem is motorcycles, they dont follow the rule
    they can take corners cutting your lane. going opposite direction. etc.

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Adrian, Penang is still worse than KL IMHO. PJ is also generaly better. BUT, in Puchong, Klang, etc, PANIC!

Johor is... let's just say that traffic law there seems to be totally different! LOL!

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Since I visited Taipei and China (Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Wuxi, Nanking), I've found that Malaysia drivers are very very... I mean VERY polite. :mrgreen:

I used to have a uni-fren who's from Johor. The way he drives... LMAO! Like want to run you off the road like that, driver bully I'd say. :D

I'd think of myself as rather polite driver. Although sometimes I may cut queue (just can't stand slow drivers), honk slow/idiotic drivers, speed, swerve in and out, but those are only sometimes (but not sure how many times a week also :mrgreen: ) la. :lol:

8. zy

i've been driving here, it more peaceful :lol: i dont even know if i can drive back in penang ! :p

i do admit, there are dumb drivers here, but most people are more considerate. i find driving on the express way here much more scary than in malaysia ...
    partially because there are maybe big cars & SUVs & big trucks :p and you have to enter the highway fast enough or else you might get hit from behind... lol

9. Adrian Wong

Buy a large SUV or truck!! :twisted:

10. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Johor-ians are the worst at driving courtesy! LOL. Maybe they are getting vibes from a neighbouring country.. :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

LOL!! If you see a foreign car (not the usual local models) racing down our highways, it's 99.99999% a Singaporean. :roll:

In Singapore, they drive at a sedate 90km/h. Once across the border, they treat the highway like an autobahn. No limit as far as they are concerned.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you should just change that to "Driving in Malaysia".

I'm been overtaking on the left lane (3 laned highway) many times because of stupid road hoggers, I'm refering to those driving under the speed limit.

Oops.

13. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hm.. If a Singaporean gets caught speeding in Malaysia, the summons are the same? :think:

14. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Yep, Slow pokes are THE worst. The speed limit is 60mph for cars and 55mph for large trucks. And at least once a week I will be driving to work and some moron will be doing 55 in a car along side a big rig on the two lane highway. No one in front of him/her for a mile,,,, And two dozen cars behind him/her!!!! ARRRRRGGGGG!!!! WTF!!! Can't the A**H**E see in his/her rearview mirror that he/she is holding up tons of traffic behind... ARRRRRRGGG!!!, moving road block!:mad:

Then when you finaly get by... They are on a cellphone!:mad:

These people will always get the finger when trin finaly gets by.:haha:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  15. Chai

LMAO! My universal finger is always ready for action.

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

He thougt a ford taurus was too big...:lol:

17. zy

lol .. i do 75 on a 65 highway .. lol :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:
    sometimes up to 90 :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

yeah, slowpokes are the worse :wall: experienced it on I-90
    2 more days and i'm driving from North Chelmsford to Buffalo, NY . 7 hours drive.. sigh :p

18. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, yes. They should really charge them in Singapore dollars, which is like 2.3-2.4X higher. That will keep them from racing up and down our highways at 140-160km/h.

The thing about them racing is not so much the speed, but really their manners. Quite a few of them turn on their high lights from over a kilometer away and keep flashing away so that you will get out of their way. Otherwise, they tailgate you and when they cut you, they intentionally come super close so that you will have to brake to avoid them.

Some Malaysian driving idiots do that too, but Singaporean drivers are particularly noticeable because of their plates.

19. Adrian Wong

Hint : I believe I can fly.....

20. Chai

Some one did that to me. Malaysian driver. :evil: But I was playing with him too. :haha: