E2160 OC'ed

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Majormaggot, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Ok got meself a E2160 for boxingday. performed much faster than my D805 at 4.1 Ghz out of the box in super PI and prime. Started oc'ing and reached around. 2.7 ghz before it started to choke...

I think the motherboard is the bottle neck. I've seen this chip hit higher on the new chip sets. I'mma gonna try upping the chipset voltages and see what happens.

Running temps are aboot 60-63 degrees celcius(coretemp from rightmark) Speedfan reported 51 degrees at full load on both cores.

Gonna try tweaking sum stuff, but it still get a lil wacky hitting over 300 bus speed.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

2.7GHz is about right for this chip. You may need better cooling to go higher. You need to pump in more vcore.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That's a good budget chip E2160 you have. If possible give a BSEL mod a try. Sometimes it can even go further. :thumb:

4. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

tried that, but no go. I upped the FSB Termination voltage to the highest setting (1.5v) and was able to hit a bus speed of 308. after that i couldn't push it anymore. Not even 1.525 Vcore helped.

so as of right now the highest i can go 2776 MHz. My guess is that since the p5w dh deluxe is rated for a fsb of 1066, anything over that would be considered "pushing it".

Btw at idle on the same cooler i used on my D805(a sad buy mighty zalman 9500) i get 35 C (case temp 32 C), on full load of both cores 52 C (63-65 C core temp. Averaged using speedfan, coretemp and rightmark). Alot better then what the old D805 did.

A couple questions though. Should i leave my memory timings 1:1? does the extra few MHz make a big difference? and anyone here ever play around with the PEG link settings? do they actually do anything?

Attached Files:

5. Chai

P5W DH is a great 975X board, capable of doing 400MHz easily.

Leave your memory at the lowest speed to maintain stability. No performance gain will be noticable.

6. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

so i guess the limitation is cpu and not the mobo.... i'mma have to try tinkering around with it tomorrow. i wasn't shure if my board could handle 1600 fsb speed.

Would upping the MCH chipset voltage help much? i've already bumped it up twice, but i tend to get a lil nervous when playing around with chipset voltages.

7. Chai

At 300MHz FSB, you don't really have to touch anything other than the CPU itself.

8. sbrehm72255

sbrehm72255 Newbie

Those chips should beable to go to a 333fsb without touching a single voltage setting, that is if your chip is any good at all.

9. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

m'kay, so you guys can prepare to start flogging(sp?) me. Just realized the bios is outdated, reflashed and started over. As of right now i have on changed the Vcore and mem voltage. the cpu is set to 1.525 V and mem 2.05 V. Cpu running stable after 12 hours of stress testing at a nice 3.1 GHz. it will definatly go higher, but since theres 3 other computers, a ps3, 2 tvs and a whole bunch of other electronics in the same room the chip was hitting 60 C under full load (core temp reading was 70C). So before i push it farther imma recheck and see what i can do with my cooling setup. I might try lapping the cpu's IHS and the zalman too. I also saw a mod to change the fan on the zalman.

Attached Files:

10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Looking good :thumb:

11. Chai

I think Zalman doesn't need lapping.

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

from my tests (with the E2140), the stock cooler is alright for anything around 2.4Ghz +/-

towards 3Ghz, it gets pretty hot and depending on the ambient temp, it may overheat.

my 3.2ghz processor with the Xigmatek S963 with the fan speed lowered (i hate noise) currently runs at 33c under air-conditioning. ambient temp at time of the post around 23c.