ED#134 : Intel To Launch Ivy Bridge Desktop Processors In April!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not only it runs hot, it is also much slower than desktop equivalent.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Clean your heatsink, boss. :wave:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It was a brand new Dell Inspiron 14R laptop.. and so was its replacement. The first one was really bad though. Even after they replaced the fan twice (they thought it may have malfunctioned), it was turning off as often as TWICE a day! :wall:

This replacement isn't so bad now... Maybe once every 2-3 weeks? But still.. sigh.. when it happens, it's sickening because I lose whatever I'm working on.. :wall: :wall:

4. zy

I use a 15R so I can't compare with you. No issues with my work 15R so far.

Funny thing is that my M1210 (Code2 Duo) never shutdown before, it just lags like shit when it was overheating like mad. :thumb:

Is there a BIOS upgrade? and any modifications to the laptop (RAM, SSD etc?)

5. Adrian Wong

I don't think the CPU or even the AMD GPU can overheat. Both are designed to throttle down to prevent overheating. I have an old Pentium M notebook with a dead fan and it still runs... the whole notebook just heats up like nobody's business! Yeah, it lags too, like your M1210. Hahahah...

I suspect the HDD just shut down because it overheated. The touchpad, which lies just above the HDD, always feels very hot. So I'm not surprised if the HDD overheats. The internal design of the Dell Inspiron 14R is really bad.

The original HDD was a WD Scorpio Blue but I swapped it with a WD Scorpio Black. I also upgraded the standard 4 GB of RAM with another piece of 4 GB memory.

6. zy

You can get some SMART softwares to check the temperature of the hard disk. Speedfan is one of them.

SSD ~30C
    HDD ~35C

CPU ~55C

7. Adrian Wong

I tried monitoring using SpeedFan for a long time. But the problem is my notebook randomly shuts down and there's absolutely no warning. One second it's running just fine. Next second, it's completely powered off. It's like you turn off the main power on a desktop PC. :wall:

Just for comparison purposes, here are the temperatures of my notebook right now with the room temp. at 31oC :

CPU : 56-57 oC
    Motherboard : 65 oC
    HDD : 49-50 oC

It may not be the HDD itself, but rather, the heat produced by the HDD. That may trigger some kind of thermal shutdown in the motherboard.