ED#135 : Intel Ivy Bridge June 2012 Details Leaked!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Today, we will be taking a look at the next slew of processors, which Intel will release on June 3rd, 2012. This was supposed to mark the launch of the Intel Core i3 Ivy Bridge processors. However, it now appears Intel has delayed the Core i3 processor launch until Q4 2012. In fact, they also shifted 8 of the processors originally slated for the April launch to June.

Apparently, they still have considerable stock of Sandy Bridge processors and would naturally prefer to trim that down before launching more Ivy Bridge processors. Let's take a look at the details...

[​IMG]

Link : ED#135 : Intel Ivy Bridge June 2012 Details Leaked!

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Oh great, :wall:

3. Adrian Wong

It's not that bad lah.. It's just over a month longer... :D

4. zy

Actually, still ok, the processor I want isn't shifted to June :shifty:

I dont want to wait any longer, my plan is next month, but I'm already delaying it to May for Ivy Bridge :lol:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Get the i7! :wicked:

6. Adrian Wong

Well, for the desktop model, it isn't so critical... I think Ivy Bridge has more advantages for notebooks than desktop.. but yeah, if you can wait, why not? :D

7. Chai

Intel has been talking about lower power consumption all the time int he new model, and it never happened. In fact, I felt they are hotter, but not any faster!

I'm really doubtful if this is going to be any better. And another problem is, the reviews are usually focused on the desktop model, which has been showing great improvements. This is why desktop chips are actually more appealing IMO.

8. Adrian Wong

Well, no doubt that the Ivy Bridge desktop CPUs are faster than Sandy Bridge CPUs. But the thing is Sandy Bridge processors are really more than fast enough for most applications. I dare say it's actually overkill for most office applications and games.

So it isn't very attractive for me, as a desktop user, to upgrade to Ivy Bridge for the processor per se. The chipset upgrade is more attractive, for its native USB 3.0 support but not PCIe 3.0. It's a nice upgrade if you are on a Core 2 Duo system but if you are using Sandy Bridge already, it's hard to justify an upgrade.. hehe..

The Ivy Bridge's greater efficiency is nice for desktops, but should have a much greater effect on notebooks. That's why I'm eager to see how well the mobile Ivy Bridge processors perform, not only from the performance POV but from a heat and battery life POV.

9. Chai

I know, I'm also a laptop user in my workplace. I started using from Pentium M to Core i5. I don't see a lot of improvement in terms of speed or heat. In fact, the latest i5 laptop that I use is far hotter than all the previous generations.

10. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I don't think it's the CPU itself, which runs pretty cool. At least my Core i5 seems to run cool. In my case, it is the hard disk that is really hot.

It's a WD Scorpio Black, but I think it's also because of the way the notebook is designed. Dell stashed the HDD right against the touchpad in this model, which makes it uncomfortably hot to use. It also prevents proper cooling of the HDD, which is probably why the notebook shuts down once in a while. :wall: :wall:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  11. zy

SSD :mrgreen:

12. Adrian Wong

One day... when I strike the lottery.. :mrgreen:

13. Chai

It was pretty clear it is due to the CPU in my case. I have seen the inside of a Lenovo laptop more than my own desktop. :haha:

14. Adrian Wong

Could it be the cooler your laptop is using?

15. Chai

Can't really tell, but the hot air that is coming out from the air vents are usually much hotter than my older model.