ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

When I upgraded to the Apple iPhone 6, I started to take more videos, thanks to its greatly improved video recording capability. Unfortunately, I recently lost a bunch of great photos and videos to a "possible" copy corruption bug that appears to affect my Apple iPhone 6 which runs on iOS 8.1.2.

Last month, I moved three videos and a bunch of photos from my Apple iPhone 6 to my computer, only to find out later that two of the videos and one of the photos were corrupted. On closer inspection, they appear to be truncated - copied only partially.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, because I moved them, instead of copying them, they were lost forever. I tried numerous iPhone data recovery software out there but none of them could recover the deleted videos and photos. :(

However, I was able to reliably replicate the problem over and over again, allowing me to make several observations about this corruption problem.

Link : ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. Adrian Wong

ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug Rev. 2.0

Last month, I moved three videos and a bunch of photos from my Apple iPhone 6 to my computer, only to find out later that two of the videos and one of the photos were corrupted. On closer inspection, they appear to be truncated - copied only partially.

Unfortunately, because I moved them, instead of copying them, they were lost forever. I tried numerous iPhone data recovery software out there but none of them could recover the deleted videos and photos. :(

[​IMG]

However, I was able to reliably replicate the problem over and over again, allowing me to make several observations about this corruption problem.

In this update, we added a section called "It Only Happens With An SSD..."

Link : ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug Rev. 2.0

3. Adrian Wong

ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug RESOLVED!

[​IMG]

In this update, we added two new sections - "It Only Happens With The iPhone 6..." and "The Solution"

Link : ED#188 : Apple iPhone 6 Copy Corruption Bug RESOLVED!

4. Strom

Strom Newbie

I experienced this same 12 byte corrupted file bug when copying photos to a HDD, so the SSD-only theory definitely isn't valid. I used an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4, copying to Windows 7 x64 SP1.

5. Adrian Wong

Hi Strom,

Can I have more details? Like what HDD were you using?

I've tried to replicate this error on three different HDDs, but it only happens with the SSD.

Also, my problem vanished when I upgraded to iOS 8.2 and I haven't seen it since.

However, I have not updated to iOS 8.4, so I can't say if it's happening again with iOS 8.4. Perhaps the bug in iOS 8.4 now affects HDDs too...

6. Strom

Strom Newbie

Okay, so the HDD in question is a relatively old but fully functional Samsung HD103UJ (1TB).

The mounted partition is NTFS, however it does not directly use the HDD drivers, as it first goes through TrueCrypt 7.1a, as it's an encrypted partition. This definitely has a slight performance hit, but it may also provide some other characteristics that are needed for this bug to surface.

Additionally, I was performing a nice big 10GB / 500 file move from this Samsung HDD to another faster HDD at the same time as I started the photo move from the iPhone to the Samsung HDD. So the Samsung HDD was definitely under decent stress. It could be that if the Samsung HDD would be more ready to accept the photos, they would have been actually successfully written to disk.

Regarding the photos/videos, there were 98 total files @ 3.2 GB. About 10 of those files got corrupted, with no common properties that I could see. Some small photos got corrupted, as did some big videos from a completely different month.

My iPhone is pretty empty right now, but I can try to replicate the issue again in a month or so when I've got more stuff on it to copy over.

This corruption definitely caught me by surprise and I didn't like it. Thankfully I had an iTunes backup done just before the event.

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That's odd. I have TrueCrypt running though, although I wasn't actually copying the files to that encrypted partition...

I will give it a try later and copy the files to the TrueCrypt partition on my iPhone 6 running on iOS 8.3 and see if it happens.