ED#57 : The AMD Phenom Goes Triple Core!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 20, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

In the world of computing, you will see these numbers: 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512....

3 looks and sounds so weird - are the AMD guys releasing it as X3? and also, they are planning to release the Sempron X2, but I couldn't notice any of these right now.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actualy, their line-up of cheap Sempron processors will eventually be replaced by Athlon X2 processors.

3. The_YongGrand

Not sure where I want to put this, but I got an interesting piece of news - AMD's releasing some of the Phenoms next month.

Dang, I hated that when they started delaying the stuff, and pushing the dates when the time comes. Sheesh, how fickle is AMD nowadays.

And also, are the AM2+ backward compatible to any AM2 platform? If those 4-core or 3-core are cheaper, heck, I would like to buy those! :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

Where did you get that news? AMD just told me that they are on track for a December release.

As for AM2+ compatibility.. here's a quote from our AMD Phenom Pre-Launch Update.

5. The_YongGrand

6. Adrian Wong

Oh, we had already posted the details here.

AMD just told me a few days ago, they are still going for a December release. They could be lying though. :)

7. The_YongGrand

I see. So, could it hurt if I put a 4-core into my AM2 board? :haha: Will it downclock, 'cause the HT is 3.0 instead of 2.0? :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

Err.. no. According to AMD, it will be a painless upgrade. All you need to do is just update the BIOS. :D

9. charge-n-go

charge-n-go Newbie

There is virtually no optimization penalty for tri-core. The thread scheduling is all done by the OS, not the application itself. As long as the application can spread itself into various light weight process (a.k.a. threads), the OS will dispatch these threads into the CPU cores based on priority. The limitation still lies within Windows. The most basic scheduling algorithm is, dispatch the higher priority threads into any available core. So, you don't really need to worry about dual, tri or quad core. As long as the OS supports 4 cores, it can still run very well with 3 cores or 2 cores.

10. Dave the Rave

Dave the Rave Newbie

AMD PHENOM TRIPLE CORE POWERHOUSE

Dear all on this forum I am writeing this on a AMD triple cored Phenom and I can tell you that it is a very good processor, I mean that when running a virus scan using Avira antivirus it takes just 15 minuits instead of 90 minuits and thats some going also you can also burn a DVD while installing service packs I know because I tryed it.
    yours faithfully Dave the Rave.

11. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Dave. BTW, you must be upgrading from a pretty slow processor for there to be such a large performance improvement.

12. Dave the Rave

Dave the Rave Newbie

reply to last message

Yes I did upgrade from a single AMD athlon 32bit processor to a HP Mini-tower with a 6800B AMD phenom x3 with at least 1.87 GBs of memory running at 2.31ghz but it is a great system except for a little niggle that means that sometimes it won't shut down but I think that I have the problem licked.