ED#96 : High Definition Audio Support In Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

After years of development, Microsoft finally released Windows XP Service Pack 3 for downloading early last month. Earlier, we covered how the Windows XP SP3 RC didn't support high definition audio because Microsoft apparently "forgot" to add the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) driver for High Definition Audio devices in the latest release candidate of the Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Now that the final Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been released, one, especially yours truly, wonders if it now supports high definition audio, or if Microsoft forgot to add the driver once again?

[​IMG]

Link : ED#96 : High Definition Audio Support In Windows XP SP3

1 person likes this.
  2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice editorial Dash :thumb:

I still haven't gone back to SP3 because of stability issues O/Cing and shutdown issues I experienced. Might give it another go though at least I know High Definition Audio is working and as a musician that is important to me :D

3. mhenriday

mhenriday Newbie

Hullo Dashken,

I run 32-bit XP from a triple-boot (also 64-bit Ubuntu Hardy and 32-bit Windows Vista) AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+. I have read about the difficulties AMD users have had with XP SP3, but also that these have now been resolved. Is there anything which would hinder me from installing SP3 on my machine - or, to put the question in the manner in which it should be phrased, is there any reason for me to go from my updated SP2 system to SP3; i e, gains in performance or security ?...

Henri

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can take a look at some of the updates and biggest issues when upgrading to WinXP SP3 here - Tech ARP - Secret Pre-Release Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3

Generally, you can get most of the updates by fully updating SP2. However, there are quite a few updates that Microsoft did not release to public. Mostly fixes for their partners, etc. So I'm not sure if you really need them.

Personally, I would upgrade a fresh installation using SP3 because it's just easier. But if I already have SP2 and have fully updated it, then I wouldn't really bother.

5. mhenriday

mhenriday Newbie

Thanks, Adrian ; this is in fact the conclusion to which I was tending myself, but it's nice to have it confirmed by someone more knowledgeable than myself ! On my own AMD machine, I'll just keep updating XP SP2, without installing SP3. What is more difficult to decide is what to advise others ; I help retirees with their computer problems, most of whom are running Windows XP SP2 versions on Intel CPUs. Generally speaking, I set their machines to install update automatically for the sake of simplicity and so that they don't miss any vital security updates ; this will mean that when the Swedish version of SP3 is released for automatic updating, it will be installed, willy-nilly, on their machines. Do you see any reason to modify this behaviour ?...

Henri

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, there's really no difference between using an AMD CPU and an Intel CPU.

Yeah, automatic updates are good for them. Hmm, not sure if Windows XP SP3 will just download and automatically upgrade SP2. :think:

Hmm.. Let's see if Dashken has any input on this. :think:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup it should upgrade.

8. twkkhan

twkkhan Newbie

I am using XP SP3 and Server 2008 at the same time.
    I find XP sp3 nice. I installed it on notebooks. I never faced any problems so far. It would be better if slipstreamed into the installation files b4 installing.

If you want to load Vista and Xp at the same time. Vista must be installed first. Then install XP ( must have XP sp2 or sp3 slipstreamed first otherwise installation will fail to recognize hard disk drive properly ). Finally boot vista setup. Choose restore BCD settings. Dual boot option will be available then.
    I know it is funny but true.

Note: server 2008 don't have this option , I use vista setup dvd to do it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, it should automatically upgrade if you set the 'Automatic Update' to Automatic. :D

That's why I've always prefer to set it to 'Notify me but don't automatically download or install them' or else if something funny happen I won't know what caused it, right? And if I were to set it to Automatic, Windows will always ask to restart or restart itself after the countdown is over for it to install the updates during logoff. I hate that very much. So, 'notify me' is always my choice. :mrgreen:

My advice on whether to upgrade to SP3 would be... if you are already using SP2 and don't have any problem with it, then there's really no need to upgrade it. I'm still using Windows XP SP2 on all my PCs except the weird one on my 2nd office PC which has Vista Business on it. Just wanted to really use Vista for a while.

For now, I'll only upgrade to SP3 if I format/install a fresh Windows XP, or else, I wouldn't bother. Coz it's better to use something that's working than to try out something that might break it.

It's really up to you anyway... Good luck! :beer:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Thanks! Well, the Vista Business that I installed on the Windows XP on my 2nd office PC isn't actually OEM or retail version. It's a customized OEM version and we used imagex to capture it into a WIM format and then extract it using imagex as well. So, the person that was responsible on creating the image didn't really want the user to have a dualboot system I supposed because he only made sure that Vista can work but not XP in his bcdedit script. :D

If I use a normal DVD, there shouldn't be much problem I think. But the Vista Business is working pretty good at the moment, maybe next time. :mrgreen:

11. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

Dashken, WinXP SP3 only includes "partial" HD Audio support. I found out that it only contains the Hdaudbus.sys file (the HD audio bus controller driver file) but NOT the "generic" HD audio driver files (Hdaprop.dll, Hdashcut.exe, Hdaudio.sys & Hdaudres.dll). It was like this with the RC2 & final releases of XP SP3. Download the full standalone WinXP SP3 package and see if the high definition audio files are there.

The full standalone package of Windows Server 2003 SP2, on the other hand, included "full" HD audio support that bundled not only the hd audio bus controller file [hdaudbus.sys], but also the generic hd audio drivers files as I've checked myself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I tried with the RC version and found that it doesn't support full HD. And KB888111 from SP2 cannot be installed.

That's why I created this article and this one. From all the comments on my blog, it seems the final version doesn't support it as well. So, it's either you use the edited package or mess with the registry to install KB888111. :D

I've decided to stay with SP2 which is doing marvelously at home. :thumb:

13. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

Not a big problem when using third party HD audio drivers under WinXP with either SP2/SP3 instead of the "generic" HD audio drivers from either KB835221 or KB888111 [it's more preferable to use vendor high def audio xp drivers anyway]. Microsoft is expected to end support for WinXP SP2 in July 2010 as noted here. After mid-July 2010, MS will be making updates only for XP SP3.

Check out this article by Erik Chapple at the myITForum.com site on adding UAA HD Audio support in WinXP SP3:
    myITforum.com : UAA HD AUDIO DEVICE SUPPORT IN WINDOWS XP SP3

Last edited: May 13, 2009