Electronic Door Locks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Have you guys ever tried an electronic door lock? Jason and I are thinking of getting one. We have seen a few from Samsung and Gateman (both from Korea) but it seems like Gateman is the leader in these electronic door locks.

These are Gateman's latest models :

- New GATEMAN IREVO F100-DM Fingerprint Digital Door Lock + Worldwide Free Express | eBay

- NEW FINGERPRINT DIGITAL DOOR LOCK GATEMAN IREVO F10 | eBay

I think the main difference between the two is that the F100 has an integrated handle while the F10 doesn't.

Anyone has any experience with this type of electronic locks? Again, if anyone is interested in bulking these locks back to Malaysia, let me know! :D

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

My opposite neighbour here in SG has the Samsung one. Sounds really cool but I've seen instances when their maid had trouble unlocking the door when it don't' recognise the fingerprint. :)

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I remember seeing an episode in Mythbusters where they fooled some of the door locks with just a copy of the thumbprint. :wall: :wall: :wall:

4. Adrian Wong

That's why you are supposed to record like a minimum of 2 fingerprints per person. There's also a backup of keying in the number.

The advantage of such a lock is that you will never "forget" your key... heh... and you can always change access, without the need to change the lock itself. Imagine if you get robbed or drop your keys. There's no need to change the locks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. Adrian Wong

Really???? DAMN!! That would totally defeat the purpose of buying such a lock...

I suppose I can opt for electronic locks that use access cards but I also heard that we can easily buy duplicate access cards if we know the number on the access cards that is registered with the lock...

I better go check out the Mythbusters episode...

6. Adrian Wong

Looks like the Mythbusters test was done over 3 years ago... I wonder if the biometrics reader for these locks have improved much since then?

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like the face unlock feature on Android, the early versions can be unlocked by using printed photo. But the newer versions require blinking eyes.

8. Adrian Wong

Interesting.. it apparent can reject silicon-based fake fingerprints...

[​IMG]

9. Stoward11

Stoward11 Banned

A biometric fingerprint door lock has been introduced, which accurately makes your finger the only key. What’s more, another striking features.

The biometric fingerprint door lock uses 4 AA batteries and does not require any other external connection. Fingerprint verification as well as a door lock is combined in a single unit for easy installation.

10. Adrian Wong

But I see in your other thread that you have problems with it? What model did you buy?

11. EhJude

EhJude Newbie

I bought a lock last year that used your thumb swipe to unlock the door. In theory it seemed cool, but in practice it was a total pain in the ass to get working right. Your mileage will vary depending on which manufacturer you go with, but if you can, see what people are saying about a particular lock model before you take the plunge because mine got returned...fast.

12. Adrian Wong

What model did you buy?