EX58-UD4 & i7 umm..sidestepping?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by moca, Sep 4, 2009.

1. moca

moca Newbie

Hello! Hope someone can help me out with my problem..

I have an Intel i7 920 on my Gigabyte EX58-UD4 motherboard and i'm having the following problem; i cant seem to get my system self-overclock/underclock depending on the system needs at a given moment.

What it does, is run at 2,8 Ghz [multiplier value = x21] (while stock speed is 2,6Ghz [multiplier value = x20]) all the time, idle or under load. It never drops below that clock speed..

When i first got it working, i remember it used to under/overclock itself when needed. It used to go from like 1,9Ghz to 2,9Ghz when it needed to.

I have been experimenting with BIOS settings since then and i probably messed up somewhere, so now i cant find a way to restore this feature (called sidestepping i think?). Of course, i already tried restoring BIOS settings to "Optimized Default" values, but that didnt seem to make a difference. Any ideas pleeease?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's called Speedstep, and there's a few name depending on the BIOS. It can be called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology).

If you can't find any of these, you can also try an option called C1E.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think that's what he's refering to, especially this portion. Turbo mode only overclocks.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, just enable them both! :D