Fedora Linux

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kayFX, Feb 20, 2006.

1. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

i going to try this OS.. any advice? hav anyone try it? might also want to try Mandriva 2006.. but i heard the networking config a.k.a Samba a bit hard to configure.. any tips and tricks? share it here.. want to try something new..:dance: :mrgreen:

2. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Go for Ubuntu or Debian :p Gentoo is another good one

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i think Ubuntu, Knoppix and Slax are good to try. :)

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

dun you guys think gnome isn't that responsive on slow PC?

it takes seconds to load anything and not instantly like KDE.

tried it on suse and ubuntu.

any idea why?

5. goldfries

anything with UI will stress the PC. of course it depends on how much they use up to generate the UI as well.

have you tried Slax? :)

yes i do find KDE faster too.

6. hyper_raider

Slax is actually made for you to boot it off a live Cd or a thumb drive its not really a full blown distro..

I find Gnome to be a better window manager though...but if you want really responsive and something basic u should look at fluxbox or icewm

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

on a fast PC, both seem okay to me.

but when i tried it on an 900MHz athlon, omg gnome is horrible.

Im new to linux so Im just wondering is there anyway to accelerate it, perhaps turning off a couple of unneccesary features or something?? I prefer gnome over KDE.

8. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

might try ubuntu also.. can install it in the same partition with window or have to install it in another partition?:think: ihave no idea what you guys talking about.. i'm totally new and the only thing i now (if im not mistaken) the gnome is some kind of UI right? KDE is another UI i guess.. i'll give my feedback after i tried the Fedora first.. and so on..:mrgreen:

9. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

here some screenshot.. quite nice interface.. Gnome..

Attached Files:

10. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

need some help here.. currently i'm trying to install display driver but cannot proceed because it say that im currently running X server.. must close it before can proceed.. some said that have to log as root and run init 3 command.. after that what? i dont have any single idea here..:faint:

11. hyper_raider

ctr-alt-backspace will kill X

you can also try going to the sbin folder and run init 3 and once done restart it by going init 5

BTW the second method is safer, make sure u are root

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  12. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

how long have to wait until its done?
    and how to run init 3?

13. hyper_raider

cd /sbin/
    init 3

Not sure what you mean how long need to wait

14. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

ok.. i'm abit lost here.. can you show me step by step? coz after i run ini 3 the screen goes blank and i dunno what to do aftre that..

15. hyper_raider

Running init 3 basically just ends your X sessions, hence the blank screen. I dont understand how you are trying to install your drivers but that from the command line i knwo that is how u end your X sessions

To restart X type in init 5

16. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

according to this
    ihave to kill the X prior before installing the driver.. and one more thing, after the screen goes blank i cant even type anything.. all i can do is pressing the ctrl+alt+del to init 6..:eh: suppose i can type like command promt rite?:think:

17. hyper_raider

Ctrl-alt-del doesnt bring u to a command console its ctr-alt-f1 i havent done any display drivers before but u know u should try like googling and see how its done for that particular display driver

1 person likes this.
  18. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

thanks for your help hyper_raider.. that settle already.. and my next question, is there any codec pack for linux? try googling around but cannot find any.. any links?

19. goldfries

have you tried the player called Totem?

20. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

yep.. totem cannot play all.. there still some codec they dont have.. dunno which one but i think Xvid maybe.. try playing some anime but it say that i must install the required plugin to play it..