Firefox 5

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Usually, I would just open a new window and a new set of tabs. However, IE9 will only save one window session AFAIK, so I always make sure the second window only contains pages that I don't need to reopen when I restart IE9.

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

been using FF5 since last week. memory consumption has seen improvement. it makes ff4 looks like win vista.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

on ff5. do not see any different

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

FF5: Memory consumption was pretty good initially... but went back to what I experienced with FF4 after 1 week of usage. :faint:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Conclusion: Buy more RAM, or stop surfing so much.

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I just noticed that IE9 is also leaking memory. I need to restart it every 2 days, or it will gobble up 4-5 GB of memory!

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... FF5 just gobbled up 2GB... lol... have to restart... :wall:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

actually, i don't mind the amount of memory it needs/leaks. it can have as much memory as it wants, I just don't want it to get sluggish.

9. Chai

Wow? You guys have 8GB or something?

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... mine already seriously sluggish when it goes beyond 1.2GB... have to add another 2GB I guess. Sigh...

11. Chai

8GB is only RM190. Baibaibai!!!

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

but adding more memory doesn't help.

you can give it 2GB and it will still get sluggish.

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I upgraded my notebook just for the ability to upgrade to 8 GB. :haha:

But well, it's never enough... I actually switched to IE9 64-bit to see if that would help. Unfortunately, it looks like the 64-bit IE9 leaks memory faster.

Even worse, Flash Player doesn't work with 64-bit IE9 (have to use the beta version for developers), and I have problem printing to PDF. I'm going to switch back to IE9 32-bit.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  14. Chai

I'm actually struggling with 4GB RAM now, especially when editing photos. But SSD really sped up a lot, and that's upgrading from a relatively fast Velociraptor.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Oh man I have it rough with my 12GB of RAM... :p

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

My board only 4 slots la... have one new 2GB in front of my monitor for 1/2 year already. Still packed nicely. :mrgreen: Ohh... I'm still using DDR2. :dance:

Will buy another 2GB when I'm not lazy, remove the 2x1GB, put in 2x2GB and finally get it to 8GB... woohoo... lol... but problem is I dunno when I'm not lazy. :boohoo:

17. Chai

Maybe I should go for 16GB, just to brag! :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

When I had 4 GB, I thought that 8 GB was only for bragging... but now that I'm using 8 GB, I cannot go back to 4 GB. :haha:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

would go 16gb if I could. :p

too bad my board supports 3 dimms only.

PsYkHoTiK: five five five.

what is this? mini bragging thread? hahahahah

back to the topic: these days the browser acts almost like an OS to me. I'm spending more time on it then on the any other desktop activities. logically I want it to be able to utilize as much memory as it can. I don't mind to assign 4gb or more ram to ff5, provided it doesn't slow down. unfortunately, this is not the case in reality. ff is a very slow app!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011