Former Nokia head of sales joins Huawei

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Estrelle, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Estrelle

Estrelle Newbie

First, Microsoft Xbox chief Don Mattrick leaves Microsoft for Zynga... And now... Nokia's Colin Giles left the company for Huawei...

Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, announced the appointment of Colin Giles as Executive Vice President, Huawei Consumer Business Group, on July 1st, 2013.

Colin Giles was critical to Nokia's growth during its golden era, and then he jumped ship during slide... He joined Nokia since 1992. He was the one who helped Nokia become the top seller of the new "smartphone" during 2007. He was rewarded first as president of Nokia 2006 in China, then with a position as client and market management senior vice president (SVP) in 2007.

Colin Giles announced his resignation last year's April, which he said his excuse was to be with his family in Australia. He officially left the company on June 30, 2012, ending a 20-year campaign with the Finnish firm.

But after a year later, he went to China's largest domestic smartphone seller, Huawei Technologies Comp. Huawei announced Mr. Giles was named a SVP at the Huawei Group on Monday.It is not surprising that he will join Huawei, since he can speak fluent Mandarin.

In a press release he states, "I am delighted to join Huawei at such an exciting time in the development of Huawei’s consumer brand. Over the last couple of years, the company has already made big strides in the global marketplace with the introduction of flagship products that quickly became the talk of the town, like the world’s slimmest smartphone Ascend P6 launched just weeks ago. I look forward to working closely with everyone in the Consumer Business Group to continue to 'Make it Possible' for smartphone users worldwide."

What do you guys think will happen to the future of both Nokia and Huawei?

I think Nokia is going thru a massive downfall...

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nokia may not have done so well in the smartphone market but their Lumia smartphones have done better than expected, and they still sell a large number of candy bar handsets. For non-smart phone users, the Nokia brand still commands a certain amount of cachet.

I really cannot say much about Huawei... Haven't tried any of their smartphones.

3. danroo11

danroo11 Newbie

i wish there would be a nokia with android. I have been using android for 2 years and i dont wanna switch my apps with the smartphone :(

i was able to get some nokia phones in my hand and i like the quality of their cases. Especially when its not too much "sliding" in your hands having a rubber backside.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

they don't have the best selling phone, but they have close to US$6 billion in cash. besides, they have already suspended their dividend payout (since Jan 13). I'm sure they will still be hanging around for some time, just like RIM.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, and they still have the market on the candy bar phones.

6. tytyty

tytyty Newbie

One day, even a strong phone will die a silent death. :boohoo: