FreeDOS - Bad or Missing Command Interpreter, help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dashken, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hi everyone! This is my first time using FreeDOS and it's been cool so far. Until I encounter a problem now.

I've tested FreeDOS on a few desktops and laptops, some are ok, but some are not. Those that are not ok will prompt out... the message below when loading the kernel and trying to load the config.sys I think.

Bad or missing Command Interpreter
    Enter the full shell command line:
    command.com /P /E:256

I've tried to enter the command shell=c:\command.com /p /e:256 into the config.sys but no luck.

One funny thing is, the affected laptop/desktop will be able to load everything (config.sys and autoexec.bat) when I plug in a USB floppy drive. When I unplug it, restart, the same problem persists. :D

This is a problem because it not possible for me to plug-in the usb floppy drive onto the laptop all the time when I start FreeDOS.

This happen to those affected desktops too. When I disable floppy support, the same problem as above. But when I enable floppy support, it works! :wall:

So, is there anyway around this problem? Is it possible to trick FreeDOS that I have a floppy drive connected even when I don't have one?

Appreciate it if someone can lend me a helping hand or advice.

Thank you very much and have a nice day! :)

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Did you installed FreeDos in a main partition, the um... Primary Partition if I'm not mistaken? And did you install the FreeDos into NTFS partition? :wave:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup... fdisk and created a new partition, made it active, formatted it with the format.exe included at the ramdisk at a:\freedos. So, it's FAT32 I guess. :D Nope... not NTFS. :think:

It's the same case even when I created a 2GB main partition (install FreeDOS on it) and left the rest untouched. :(

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Are you trying to dualboot FreeDos with WinXP? I got the same problem as well but it'll go away after a few configurations... :D

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Nope... just doing a plain install, one OS on a pc/laptop. :D

Well, it seems like only older platforms have the problem. I think so far should be no problem. Older platforms can use the old FreeDOS> :mrgreen:

Actually I came across your question asking about the dual boot configuration at some forum. :lol: