Gainward HD4850 GS 512mb has problems!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by vccy118, Dec 17, 2008.

1. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Help! I just assembled my new rig and I cant seem to get my Gainward 4850 GS 512MB to work on this mobo! Biostar TP45HP.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

At 1st when I just assembled it, the screen is pixelated, even when at boot screen and without an OS. After I installed Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, it still worked fine with pixel distortions. Until I installed the driver for the GC... AHA! The screen won't go into windows and is seriously pixelated and flickering every few seconds at the user login page, then the blue screen of death will appear after flickering for a while.

Help! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Btw... I tried the GC and PSU on 2 other rigs and they worked fine... only when I plugged these into my Biostar mobo, things get hay wire... currently using my comp without installing the graphics driver... still pixelated, but at least still usable.

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, your even here o_O..btw does your psu come with the 8 pin thingie or u used the converter?

3. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

o_O Let's just say I am very desperate already =X

Yeah, it does come with the new 8 pin PCIE-16 power... it has the same specs as Silverstone ST50F, since I am using the OEM version of tat PSU...

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

btw, just wondering where are you from..maybe can assist you further regarding that issue..

5. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

well, i am from Malaysia.... specifically Bintulu, Sarawak.

Ths for trying to help! ^^

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Have you tried using other graphics card on your mainboard? Since you said your card and psu is working fine on other rigs.

7. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Yeah, I did... Used 7300LE and it works... only when HD4850 and Biostar TP45HP is used together, such problem existed.

EDIT: Btw, I am not using any drivers... coz installing a driver for the GC will cause BSOD...
    EDIT2: I tried another GC, 7300GS, my brother's, and it works! >.< Yet to find an ATI GC to try it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like graphics card problem.

9. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Ugh... not graphics card I am afraid... Tried one other 2 seperate rigs and it works just fine...

If it's just the GC or the Mobo, then I would be a lot less worried. I can't RMA those parts if it wont show a problem when they test it.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unless you bring the whole system to prove that it doesn't work in your system, while another graphics card work, I don't think you can do much. It looks like hardware compatibility problem, nothing you can do to fix it, maybe a BIOS flash?

11. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Flashed the mobo, dunno how to do that on the GC =/

12. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

did you flash the bios for the motherboard. i dont think Gainward has any bios for updating.

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm,dude..maybe you could use the GPUZ to dump the bios?..let me have a look at the lastest gpu bios for that card.

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. When you tried the other rigs, did you try using your PSU? TBH, you ruled out everything except the PSU...

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

He already tested his PSU and card on other rigs.

I think this is a graphics card/mobo incompatibility problem, similar to the issue which affects Foxconn BlackOps/Abit IX38 Quad GT & HD4870 X2.

If this is the case, I don't think you can do anything until Biostar release a BIOS update that resolves this issue.

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh really? Must have missed it... :wall:

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

not to mention, gainward's distro is being taken over by SDS...:wall: gonna be a PITA to rma the card :D

18. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

but then the card can't be rma because its not defect, right ?

19. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

then the only thing can do is contact BIOStar for the details about the fix.

Did you tried to disable some of the setting in the BIOS and test the card again?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ooh, it's not his mobo..he tested on another system and it's has the same artifacts too O.O..Gainward now is taken over by new Distro and takes quite a long time to rma..