Geforce 9600 GSO Flashed a bad bios, have no backup...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by mustplaydarkfall, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ok so, I did something really ignorant in an inebriated state. I read that article about turning a 9600 gso into an 8800 gts and I went ahead and flashed the bios (using a CD bootdisk no less, if thats the source of all my problems here please let me know) without first backing up my own. Turns out my card actually only has the 6 memory blocks, not 8 like the cards that guide was mentioning. Yeah, I know.

Anyhow, my card is an XFX Geforce 9600 GSO 768mb, unfortunately, I could not find that bios on this site, or anywhere else. However, I did find a Palit bios for a Geforce 9600 GSO 768mb card, and heard a bios from another vendor would probably work. I ran nvflash (blind mind you as the video was just displaying garbage) with the paramaters of nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y XXX.rom,I heard a single beep, I could make out the dos blinking cursor and it was moving across slowly (probably the bar moving as the bios is flashed) then another beep followed by a reboot. I presumed the bios flashed, but I suppose maybe it did not. Either way, after the reboot nothing changed and I still have the same garbage being displayed. Is this because I still have the wrong bios, or is my card totally fried? PLEASE HELP I'M BROKE AS HELL, CLASSES START SOON AND DARKFALL COMES OUT JAN 22 MY ONBOARD VIDEO IS ONLY 64MB!

I flashed it with this bios ReMOSitory :: mvk.tech :: MVKTech, On the Edge of Technology

I just have no idea where to get the correct bios XFX didn't have any bios files for my card! Assuming its not fried now of course but I don't think it is as it powers up and displays SOMETHING.

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

3. Thats the thing, it isn't there, not the one I have. They have a bios for a 9600GSO that is 384 mb, but mine is 768mb.

4. Problem solved, mvktech had a copy of the bios they hadn't put live in their downloads section yet that they hooked me up with.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. That's a dangerous way to mod. :shock:

Seriously, you should never flash a video BIOS that way. At least make a backup of your current video BIOS.

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Make sure it is still in warranty when flashing. If brick then just return it and say dunno what happen to it .. :p

Like what Lacus did, drop a HDD and return it for RMA .. isk isk isk ..

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Teaching people "bad" tricks so soon??? :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, with the card failing..as long there is warranty there should be no issue in sending it for warranty as since the card is semi faulty, they won't know a thing :haha: