Get Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Software' started by atwl77, Jun 1, 2015.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I've checked the official Office App for Windows 10 (PC) - you can only save/edit documents if you have a Office 365 subscription.

For the rest of the portable devices, it's free to use.

I wished at least there's a basic Office shipped in the Windows 10. Even for the Android versions you can edit/save them. :think:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, Office is a major breadwinner for them. I don't think they will offer a free version. Even Office Starter was discontinued for the 2013 edition, and cannot be installed in Windows 8/8.1 PCs. :think:

3. Adrian Wong

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Office Online? :shifty:

5. The_YongGrand

The Xbox One also will receive Windows 10 too! :thumb:

Read that you can play Xbox One on other devices (console streaming to laptop/PC/tablet).

6. lexiaa

lexiaa Newbie

I have just updated to windows 10 from windows 7. :wave:

7. The_YongGrand

I tested a bit of the Windows 10 earlier, and it installs real fast on an older notebook circa 2010.

Only problem is the graphics drivers wouldn't install properly. The Windows Updates are slightly broken and needs retrying to get the drivers over there.

I liked that multi-desktop feature. Hopefully there will be "extendable desktops" where you can put more shortcuts. :)

8. Adrian Wong

I think some manufacturers are probably still rushing out their Windows 10 drivers. What graphics card driver didn't install properly?

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most drivers should work fine if they already have Windows 8 drivers.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

10. The_YongGrand

Radeon 6320 - on the old HP Pavilion DM1.

The "Properties" should write "Radeon 6320", not gibberish. :faint:

The drivers can be only updated through the slightly faulty WIndows Update, not through the full AMD Catalyst drivers.

I can screen cap it too there. :)

Luckily it works now, but there are still a lot of minor glitches that needed ironing out. I still like that minimalistic design, looks like it's been in the 80s or 90s. :thumb:

11. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

I'm actually wondering about this.

12. Adrian Wong

I don't think so. You will need to upgrade it with the Final (Gold) ISO, not the Insider Preview ISO.

13. Chai

The insider version uses generic serial number. They can invalidate anytime they want. You need to test it as beta version.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

14. The_YongGrand

I'm typing this from Windows 10 - I successfully updated an old HP Pavilion DM1 laptop with a Windows 7 Home Basic.

However, the "Something Happened" error occurs when I used that Windows Media Toolkit (official Microsoft Windows 10 downloader).

Then I find some way to download the ISO, which only can be downloaded through the mobile version of the Windows 10 website. You can use the "User Agent" on your desktop/laptop browser to enter the mobile version and directly download the ISO.

As I install this, I found a big problem - upon reaching 75% progress, the screen went black and the system becomes unresponsive. When I turned it off, it reverts back to the previous OS.

I searched around in some other forums, but I remembered that earlier the Windows 10 couldn't support the AMD Radeon drivers well, hence that stalled installation. Immediately I removed that AMD Radeon drivers before upgrade installation and there it goes, this is the Windows 10 all ready for me! :thumb:

Note to self: For AMD Radeon graphics in systems : uninstall them before deploying Windows 10 upgrade!:whistle:

15. Chai

Huh? I was using my pc to download the iso, just need to download a tool, you can download iso or create usb bootable with out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. The_YongGrand

The tool wasn't working for me. It ended up saying "Something Happened" and that's all. Something did happen, but I do not know what error is that. :haha:

In the end I have to manually download the ISO from the mobile version of the Get Windows 10 website. :D

17. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! Something happened... :haha: :haha:

It looks like the graphics driver should be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows 10.

18. The_YongGrand

Unhelpful message in Windows 10 installation toolkit :faint:

I hope they fixed that toolkit, or at least they should tell us what has actually happened! :faint: :haha:

19. Adrian Wong

20. Chai

Bsod message are still more meaningful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk