getting a new video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by caz21206, Dec 10, 2006.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

if i'm not wrong .. aero glass is supported on Geforce 5x00 & above

on ati .. radeon 9500 & above

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Second that :haha: :haha:

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

That and DX10 since WinXP won't have DX10.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need to have DX10 card and game to take advantage of that. That will not happen anytime soon.

5. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

do u think if i have 512MB of ram if vista would enable aero glass because it says that for aero i need 1gb ram and a 128mb video card but im just buying a new video card but not new ram

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

if you have 512MB of RAM .. dont bother touching vista yet .. :haha: get more RAM first :)

i cant life with 512MB RAM even on XP :)

should get at least 1GB for todays standards .. :p

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

By all means for an optimal Vista, maybe a 2GB is recommended. But not the very best yet. :D

meanwhile 2GB RAM is already the very best for WinXP.

I'm wondering why the Vista is drinking up lotsa RAM? :think:

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Come to think of it yeah, a friend of mine mentioned that you really shouldn't bother with Vista if you don't have at least 1GB RAM. :think:
    And he's been playing around with it so he should know.

9. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Adrian, Nvidia GeForce 6200 does have 2 versions for AGP & 1 version for PCI-E making a total of 3 versions of Geforce 6200.The letter "A" in Geforce 6200A doesn't stand 4 AGP.It stands for the 2nd version of the AGP I've said b4 & Nvidia is using it to differentiate b2in the two different versions of 6200 AGP segment.

There r 2 kinds of Geforce 6200 AGP chips:--
    ------------------------------------------------------

1. We better know it by the name of Geforce 6200 which is codenamed NV43-V.

2. And the 2nd one is, Geforce 6200A codenamed NV44A.

The Differences b2in these 2 kinds of 6200 versions r :- The PCB in 6200A or NV44A has been simplified as compared to 6200 (NV43)- there is neither HSI bridge nor an additional power connector.What makes boards built on NV44A different from NV43 significantly is the 64-bit bus. That has been made to push the price down, but it can't be a joy to the user. Apart from that, unlike 6200 based on NV43 and equipped with 3.6 ns (550MHz DDR) memory, the cards use much slower memory - of 4 ns access time.

I'll suggest u to go for the XFX PV-T43L-UA which has got 128 Bit Memory Bus with a 256 MB DDR memory.PV-T44A-WAN7/PV-T44A-WANG which u've already chosen does have 64 Bit Memory Bus means much slower memory performance.So, u need 2 decide which one do u like, 128 Bit with 256MB DDR or the 64-bit 256 MB DDR2.The extra 64 Bit memory bus of the first model will matter most to u,if u wanna play 3D ames.Although the model u've chosen is not bad but it do have 64 bit memory bus,thus way slower than the model ,I've said b4.
    Only buy the model which u've chosen, if u don't get the first one.

u can check out the specification of the ist model here.Believe me NV43 or 6200 is way faster than the model u've chosen (6200A or NV44A).

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=1050

U can also check out this review of 6200A cards:-

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/nv-gf6200agp-roundup/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  10. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thanks for the tip but i cant find anywhere online to order that version becuase i have saw it before but i could never locate a website with that video card

11. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

What country do u live in ? If u can't get it, go 4 the one u've chosen but be reminded,that should be ur 2nd choice.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol what are you talking about.

NV43 is the 6600 core. Some have been crippled and used for the 6200 (downgraded / rejected cores.) Hence there are no two types of 6200 chips. Cards/revisions perhaps.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

Wikipedia

Welcome to a few years ago (old news)... :lol: Thats why you can't get those card anymore. :( Hopefully someone can provide you with more current information. :D

:mrgreen:

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I've both 6200 cards at my disposal.One is based on NV43-V & the other one is based on NV44A.That's why I'm saying & according to ur quote there is an existance of a 6200 based on NV43V.It may be built from a 6600 but ultimately it's called the Geforce 6200 after downgrading or crippling.Isn't it so ?

14. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

i live in the U.S.

15. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Then u'll have to go for the model u've chosen earlier coz the model model I was referrering to, is only available to Asia but with a very limited stock.I'll advise u to go for the Geforce 6600 based cards( only plain 6600,not the GT ) if ur money permits ,otherwise go for what u've chosen.Feel free 2 ask me if u wanna know nething.I'm always @ ur disposal.

16. MeRaH

MeRaH Newbie

The gist of his post states that its based off a 6600 card doofus... 6200 or whatever they want to rebrand it doesn't change what core it is... You sir, are dense.... :mrgreen: Its a common thing even with processors (heck AMD does it to - though you should know it really well right? :mrgreen: )

Thats all. Its a different core thats been rebranded EARLY on that you can't get anymore (especially in the US coz its a fast market.

Why would you recommend the normal 6600 over the GT version? :think:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Back to your earlier post before this started getting side tracked, I would highly recommend a ram upgrade with a graphics card. Vista is a beast to run. Ram prices are a bit high right now but DDR ram prices should only increase from now on (coz of the widespread adoption of DDR2.) Supply and demand. :D

A normal 6200 should serve you well. A 6600GT would work too but I have seen some overheating problems (unlike second had experience from another post here my 'sources' are first hand ones - friends of mine using it.)

Where in the states are you at? :wave:

18. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

A guy at a computer store tells me he's running the beta version of Vista with only 512MB of ram and it's quite smooth. Is that really possible?

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Without any running program, yes. :haha:

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

First, for running a Vista, get yourself a truckload of RAM if possible. Max it out - 2GB. :D

Then only think of a video card. ah, why not try the X1300 Radeon? It's quite cheap nowadays, and it's capable of Vista's special graphics features. :D